Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending Daily user activity trace to Out look

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

here in my company we would like to trace the user activity, and send the activity report in to out look or external mail (gmail or company mail).

User trace should be like:-

1*list of T-codes accessed by the end users (if not selected main users, on whom we would like to have a trace on their activity)

2*The activity performed by the user.

all the activity should be sent to external mail account (out look/ company mail)

the Trace file should be saved in separate location. So, that it would be easy to archive the trace file for feature reference.

please suggest me if, i'm wrong.

put your valuable in puts to make the question and configuration to be the best.

I request you all to put your valuable inputs in achieving the requirement.

thanking you in all,

by

raghav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all what you are asking for is NOT available.

SAP stores the list of TRX a user performs. This can be read by using SE30N, SE19 or STAT (MONI).

Besides that SAP stores the UID of every user who performs an important task in the system with the record of that task. By using normal audit trails that info can be found.

So no one has ever seen a need for the thing you request and the functionality is NOT in SAP.

If you want to act like BIG Brother I suggest to put a camera behind each computer and watch the video`s. Or as you want to send it by mail, why not put the video's directly on the internet.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all what you are asking for is NOT available.

SAP stores the list of TRX a user performs. This can be read by using SE30N, SE19 or STAT (MONI).

Besides that SAP stores the UID of every user who performs an important task in the system with the record of that task. By using normal audit trails that info can be found.

So no one has ever seen a need for the thing you request and the functionality is NOT in SAP.

If you want to act like BIG Brother I suggest to put a camera behind each computer and watch the video`s. Or as you want to send it by mail, why not put the video's directly on the internet.

0 Kudos

Hi Auke,

thanks for your reply.

(don't ever be sarcastic !)

if the presented senerio is not possible, you can tell in a right way.

Which shows your leadership quality and knowledge in leading others.

coming to point....

1* Even though if trace is not active, Can we track the activity of user performed with some crucial/important T-codes. If so, how can we track that.

2* If Trace is active, Disc consumption will be high,right.

for this purpose i'm aksing you a way to archive them to other media or mailling it accross on a daily basis.

please give your valuable inputs.

and guide us in a right way.

thanking you in all

by

raghav

0 Kudos

Hello Raghav,

The system collects aggregated information about it's usage, which can be read using transaction ST03N or STAD. This should serve your purpose, and is normally running in all SAP systems. Also see this blog: /people/andreas.vogel/blog/2007/01/12/statistical-records-part-1-inside-stad

A better solution (which requires activation) is to use the security audit log (transaction SM20). But you need to set it up before it starts recordng events.

Perhaps what Auke meant by "BIG Brother" is that in some countries there are possible legal implications from recording user's behaviour, performance, etc. Certainly there is both a legal and moral aspect to who has access to such information and what is done with it, so you should protect it.

Sending it via email or FTP it to a file server might not qualify as sufficiently "protected".

Within the system, the standard object for protecting the performance statistics (ST03N/STAD) data is S_TOOLS_EX, and the security audit log (SM20) uses S_ADMI_FCD action 'AUDD' amongst others. This is assuming that the user has the correct (restricted) authorizations to start with.

Cheers and take it easy,

Julius

0 Kudos

if storage space is the problem you want to solve, I suggest to read(open) the file daily and store it somewhere on a local PC. Of course it is possible to automate that, but you have to create your own abap as I do not know of any existing.

To overcome sarcastic answers you might be more clear in what you want why, as Julius pointed out, there are a large number of places around the world were a scenario as you described initially is forbidden by Law.

One additional remark whenever you schedule a dump do it just before midnight system time as for disk space reason the complete file is dumped at 00:00 hrs and only a small part is stored for further reference

0 Kudos

> 1* Even though if trace is not active, Can we track

> the activity of user performed with some

> crucial/important T-codes. If so, how can we track

> that.

You can track the transactions as Auke & Julius have pointed out, however even with the trace activated you will have difficulty in seeing what people are doing <b>in</b> the transaction. To do that you would need to find a way of extracting data from the change records of the transaction where it exists. Personally I do not think this is practical, although from memory some of this info is aggregated at a higher level in the RBE tool. You can search on OSS for the relevant information.

> 2* If Trace is active, Disc consumption will be

> high,right.

> for this purpose i'm aksing you a way to archive

> them to other media or mailling it accross on a

> daily basis.

Your abap team could write a program which takes a download of the logfile & FTP it to a separate archive location where any subsequent actions are performed e.g. mailing it to another address or log processing.

I think Auke's first reply demonstrated plenty of "leadership quality and knowledge in leading others". There are plenty of robots out there who cut & paste, a bit of gentle ribbing every now & then is good for everyone.

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex

0 Kudos

Hello Julius,

i'm very much happy for the reponse that i got for my question.

You people are the one in guiding others.

i.e. adding few more points to other's reply and guiding etc etc.

Thanking you all for your co-operation and co-ordination in providing solution.

best regards,

Raghav