cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESOA practice and BASIS skill set

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I like to introduce myself as a BASIS consultant having around 4 years of hard core BASIS experience. Recently, my organization has initiated a new practice for ESOA.

Could any one clarify me about the opportunities for BASIS in ESOA and what role we can play in that area? How can we grow as techie in admin inside ESOA practice?

Please share your experience and knowledge.

Regards,

Vinodh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

one thing you could do in advance is doing some networking and making friends with your colleagues from networking and security teams. usually there is a lot of issues concerning network topologies, security issues, router and proxy configurations and so on. you as a basis guy could contribute a lot if you were able to take over these tasks and solve them sufficiently.

just 2 cents,

anton

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There,

SOA is an architecture principle to establish IT enablement of Business using loose coupled Entities called SERVICE.

Service identification, Declaration, Definition, Development, Configuration, Run time management etc is based on how well a framework program towards interfaces instead of implementation. As an administrator, you will be playing a big role in ESOA initiatives in your organization by helping the projects in following steps.

1. Installation, configuration and administration of SERVICE layer tools and frameworks (ESB, Repository, and Registry). SAP XI plays the role of ESB. SAP XI 7.1 will start shipping a registry soon. XI already has a repository.

2. Provide hands on help for SERVICE later management, so that service consumer and provider can establish business using proper service contracts and service assurance. In order to help it a service admin do the following things.

1. Maintain the service versions in repository and registry

2. Establish service contracts between service parties through proper configuration of integration scenarios for internal and external needs

3. Manage the configured scenarios by monitoring them against the established SERVICE policies and contracts.

4. Provide input to the enterprise level management and governance tool from SAP service layer perspective.

5. Provide input to the enterprise level business community and work with business process management tool and business analyst so that they can access the available services for current and future business development.

Former Member
0 Kudos

shaji,

i don't believe that apart from point 1) (the first one) the things you mentionend will be tasks for the classical basis expert. imho there will be some functional person doing the service maintainer.

managing different service versions for instance is very different from patching the system. it might well make sense to actively deploy an older version of a service simply because it's sufficient for the use case in question a probably less complex than the latest version of that same service and therefore make the whole thing more efficient (again for the actual use case).

Deciding such things goes beyond the usual duties of a basis person.

my 2 cents,

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

I provided the point in an assumption that BASIS guys will move forward by taking more controls of the activities as part of SOA initiatives in an organization. As far as business person control over services. Business people mainly concerned about Business Services.

Business Service is composed of atomic and composite services.

Atomic and composite services are one more layer abstraction on top of technical software components running in a physical system.

Please wait for the time SAP introduce SCA and SDO thoughts in NW with Registry and Repository.

sbhutani1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinodh,

Well as you are in BASIS and XI is the most important part of ESOA, i will suggest you to get a flavour of XI admin as well to be comfirtable in ESOA. Also as anton suggested you to be comfirtable with proxy configuration as well.

You can also get involved in configuring or monitoring ICF, SMICM, RFC destinations, proxy setup etc to make sure all are working fine.

Also i would suggest you to be familiar with Netweaver JAVA stack, since ESOA is a platform and there are multiple components like Enterprise Portal, Exchange Infrastructure, Business Intelegence etc which you need to administer later on using JAVA stack.

Regards

Sumit Bhutani