cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Mapping: maintainability

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way of performing transcodifications in XI. Is there a clear best option between Value Mappings and a database accessed via JDBC?

- we have a lot of IDoc to legacy interfaces to build with various values to map - stuff like unit of measure codes, customer numbers and material codes.

- mappings are done both in Java and in the Graphical Tool(with Java functions).

I'm not so keen on value mappings because they seem difficult to maintain - I prefer something users can update themselves.

Is it possible to use tables in the XI database and access these via Java? That way we could use SM30 to maintain the tables.

Any opinions/advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You can use Java Mapping, JavaProxy or JDBC Adapter to access tables in the Database via Java.

With SAP Netweaver Developer Studio you can generate the tables and Deploy this to the XI Database.

Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Thanks for your responses.

JCo either to our R/3 system or to the XI database would be the most 'maintainable' option but I'm concerned about the performance of this (there will be high volumes).

As performance is likely to be an issue, I think I'll have to go for jdbc to an external database.

Thanks,

Paul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Andrzej_Filusz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul!

Well, I have to admit that I prefer "my own" transcoding tables than value mapping.

> Is it possible to use tables in the XI database and access these via Java?

Yes, it is. You can use JDBC or JCo. But I did only for test purpose on test installation. I would be afraid of performance issue on the production environment (is performance important in your case?). I don't know if it's recommended/supported by SAP.

In real projects we allways put such data into external databases.

BTW, to improve the performance you can think about caching your transcoding data. You can load all data you need from a database into your own static data structure in the java mapping and then use it without accessing a database.

Regards,

Andrzej