cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy( HOMOGENOUS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I want to do a system copy from production ( old h/w) to new server(h/w) keeping the same SID. What are the steps to follow? I have read lots of docs for it, but no where it is maintain from scratch.... I want to know

1. if the new server needs to be installed with SAP ( fresh installation) or what??

2. I will be copying the files OS level, as it is from Source to Target? so what needs to be done( other then alter database backup controlfile to trace, from source and edit and paste in target?)

3. what is the post activity?

Please provide a greater scope..

I have installed OS and SAP normally and now trying to copy the control file from source and files as it is to target??

Regards

Prash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

for your version.

One way can be:

- install operating system from scratch

- install central instance

- install the database instance using a backup

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Sorry to bother u again.. I am facing the problem with SAP not connecting ...( not starting up). As I have copied the physical data files to new server with the same SID. Now oracle is up and Ihave created OPS$DOMAIN\SIDADM and OP$SIDADM users also. while the existing is still present. Oracle is up..but SAP is not connecting. Checked the syslog through MMC, finding )RA-01017 logon failed error. Checked the note 400241 and 50088, but no help. Instead I am confused more.

Accordingly to note:400241 I am having lots of issues;starting from first

1. I could connect through " connect /@sid"

2. select granted_role from dba_role_privs where grantee='ops$_user';

No Rows found..

3. select owner from dba_tables where table_name=T000

gives me SAPDEV

That means the owner is SAPDEV and what is SAPUSER ????

general checks:

select owner from dba_tables where table_name=SAPUSER

gives me OPS$DEVADM and OPS$SANDBOX\DEVADM

so if t000 has SAPDEV then should I check the above command for SAPDEV instead of SAPUSER???? ..

3. select owner, table_owner, table_name from dba_synonyms wghere synonym_name=SAPUSER

give

OPS$SANDBOX\SAPSERVICEDEV OPS$SANDBOX\DEVADM SAPUSER

why here SAPUSER is present..

Do I need to change the T000 table( update it to SAPUSER)???

I you know that have copied the data files (OS level) from anpther DEV server to sandbox..( SID same). It had in DBA_USER with its hostname like

OPS$HPSERVER\SAPSERVICEDEV

OPS$HPSERVER\DEVADM

So I thought it must be bcos of this so I run the script oradbusr.sql to create

OPS$SANDBOX\DEVADM user and managed to create it. Also managed to get OPS$SANDBOX\SAPSERVICEDEV users. The grant to them is also okay.. But then also not able to connect through SAP.

Please suggest where I am going wrong and what to change...

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Could you please clear out those question ????

Regards

Prash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Could you please help me out resolve the issue which I have raised a new thread mentioned below.

SID's are different, so finding problem ...

please help

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have changed the dbs_ora_schema in the envionment variable and sap is up. I have changed through my computer> Properties>Advanced> ....and set the dbs_ora_schema to SAPBOS. bcos I donot know what is the other option to change the dbs_ora_schema ?

Also I have kept the old sid to dbs_ora_schema i.e: SAPBOS, so will this have any effect on my system??

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Done

Former Member
0 Kudos

At last done. Thanks to Markus and Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friend

see the following option

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

- install operating system from scratch

- install central instance

- install the database instance using a backup

shailesh Tiwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks buddy for your patience..finally oracle is up.

But now sap could not come up. I found "select username from dba_users" that it had the same userid of the source system, thats why could not start sap.

please suggest what to do...

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good to hear the database is up finally!

You need to create the OPS$-user, check

Note 50088 - Creating OPS$ users on Windows NT/Oracle

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Prashant ,

Run the script Oradbusr.sql it will solve the problem.it's only if ur installation is over.

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Installation of sap was done normally before the manual files copy...

Rgds,

Prash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prashant,

What is the Exact error you are getting right now?

r u able to login to oracle through SQLPLUS?

I did Homogeneous Copy few weeks back...post the logs of error which u r getting then only i can suggest anything....

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

If I check the log in MMC of SAP, It is mentioned as Logon failed.

I have checked in Oracle, and found that the DBA_USERS has the prodcution hostname user present and not my quality. And I cannot delete in oracle the domain\user ....

Bcos SAP was not installed after the copy so this quality system user has not been created in QAS oracle server.. thats the reason getting failed....

REgards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prashant,

Please tell the steps which you did for the homogeneus copy through oracle procedure.What was your last step?

then i can tell u which step is missing...

2.What password you are using for Database users?Is that same like your source system?if you are using the different password then it may also cause the problem.

3.Are you using the different SID? and also database schema name should be different.

There are few things which we need to keep in our mind before making homogeneos copy.

<b>One more thing i have to ask here Are you able to login to the oracle database manually through SQLPLUS?</b>

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

I could login to oracle through sqlplus. But could not with sap.

The problem is that I have copied the source data file and put it in target. Now if you look at the problem, then its natural that the source users must have been present and there is no link of target anywhere. So how to get things done.

What I need to do to connect my sap to oracle in target?

Note: 50088 is of no use, bcos its not clear and does not satisfy my work.

I got something from my friend, below are the details, need to try it.

In the examples below IPW is the source system, GRB is the target system.

- Give to the user default and temporary tablespace, for example:

ALTER USER "OPS$GRATHDB1\GRBADM" DEFAULT TABLESPACE PSAPIPWUSR

TEMPORARY TABLESPACE PSAPTEMP IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;

- Grant the necessary roles to new SAP<SID> user, for example:

GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE, SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE TO SAPGRB;

- Apply note 534765 to change dbs_ora_schema environment to the old SID (SID which owns SAP tables in the schema)

- Create OPS$SAPService user (example):

create user "OPS$GRATHDB1\SAPSERVICEGRB" DEFAULT TABLESPACE SYSTEM

TEMPORARY TABLESPACE SYSTEM IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;

- Grant necessary rights to OPS$SAPService user:

GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE, SAPDBA TO "OPS$GRATHDB1\SAPSERVICEGRB";

- Create the synonym:

CREATE SYNONYM "OPS$GRATHDB1\SAPSERVICEGRB".SAPUSER FOR

"OPS$SAPBW\IPWADM".SAPUSER;

- Grant select update onto the SAPUSER table for SAPService user:

GRANT SELECT, UPDATE ON "OPS$SAPBW\IPWADM".SAPUSER TO "OPS$GRATHDB1\SAPSERVICEGRB”;

- Drop the old synonym:

DROP SYNONYM "OPS$SAPBW\SAPSERVICEIPW".SAPUSER;

- Start SAP system.

Rgds

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your help.

At last SAP is up. the problem was with the password for SAPDEV.

Gods grace on me!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Finally I am through with 2 methods of system copy.

1. Data file copy

2. Exp/ Imp.

Just want to ask u if there is any report that has to be run to check if all the tables ( data in particular) has come in. This question is being asked while system copy and system upgrade.

What is the answer if while upgrade or copy all my data is intact and proper?

Is there any report to run before and after which shows u the details?

Regards

Prashant

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the system copy guides, on the last pages there are some programs and things you can run and check.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanth.

Which version SAP r u using..

Please let me know according to that i can help u.

I can help u by steps by steps...

Regards

Gangadhar

Message was edited by:

gangadhar hm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gangadhar,

Please sent me any doc. u have ..

pcdhas@gmail.com

Prashant

99229 45986

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Prashant, read the following doc:

http://www.basisconsultant.com/docs/handbooks/homcopyv1.pdf

just take out steps that changes SID.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

I have tried copying the data file through OS level. Everything went through. But after the script file updating in target, tried to startup, but something giving error like some of the ROLL2.data needs media recovery.....

Could not start the database properly. I think some problem in control file. But the control file which I have update from the source got updated properly. Also in the target I have check through " Alter database backup controlfile to trace". it was okay. But some of the trace message showed me that the I: which was present in the source( which I mapped to 😧 in the script) the file could not open...

Is there anything I am missing...

Also doubt, that the source " SAPDATA1" folder contained some cntrl folder and some control.dbf file inside it... Is there anything I am missing somewhere..

Please suggest..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must not copy the control files since they are created with the SQL script you create through "alter database backup control file to trace".

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thats fine with not copying the control file, even if the control file is not present what next?

The oracle is not starting up normally. Saying ROLL2.DATA needs media recovery.....!!!!

If deleted the control file then giving message while Oracle startup as control file not properly initialize..

What must be cause?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will need to copy the data files again (without the control files) and execute your SQL script again.

As you were trying to open the database already, the control files and the data files are in an inconsistent state.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric and All,

I got a reply from Marchus saying not to copy the control files which are present in the SAPDATA folders...

But my question is what to do with the INIT<SID>.ora file. Does it need to be modified? Bcos while starting up oracle I am getting the ORA-00205 : error in identifying control file. message.

I have seen that the CONTROL FILE parameter points to some G:\SAPORCH\.... and some others too.

Please suggest...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to spell Markus name..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Pls tell me as the ORA<SID>.ora needs to be changed or not? with regards to the control file. Bcos the file has the parameter Control file G:\.....\

What to do with this lines in the .ora file?? should it be copied from source and put it in target?

Also if the scripts " ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE" from the source to target, whatever the data files it shows needs to be copied in the target as it is? so it means the ROLL1.DATA and so on should also be copied?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to copy EVERYTHING but the control files (so also SAPROLL etc.).

Copy it, execute the SQL script and try to open the database.

--

Markus