cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach to read a file on ECC 5.0 system

matt_austin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello experts, I need some coaching on the best method for an integration. We are running XI 3.0, on a windows server and ECC 5.0 on a unix server. There is an existing process in ECC 5.0 that creates a file on the unix server. I need to be able to pickup that file in XI and process it. I know I can use FTP to pick up that file, but I am looking for a more 'native' type of interface. I have not used the XI adapter, would this be an option to bridge the gap between Netweaver on windows and Netweaver on Unix? Please share your thoughts!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

It dosent make any different for SAP XI whether file resides on Unix System / Windows server other than specifying the file path while reading file.

You can use XI File adapter with FTP connection to R/3 system and it will pick up the file.

Let us know if you need more details.

Nilesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

If you want to bridge the gap between Windows and Unix, there is not much of a difference. The files on both, Windows and Unix systems are treated in a similar fashion. Please explain your problem in detail. What do you mean by a more "native" type of interface ? Also, the entire scenrio description will help.

Sachin.

matt_austin
Explorer
0 Kudos

The file on the ECC5.0 server is a flat file using fixed length fields. I need to read and delete this file using XI. I was hoping to avoid the use of FTP, as it is not the most reliable means of transport. Since both systems are Netweaver 6.40, I was thinking I could use the integration engine in the ECC5.0 system to expose the file and us the "XI" adapter in XI to read the file. If that is not a use of the XI adapter, then I will need to use the FTP communication channel. Thanks for your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

I am sorry to say, but, FTP is the most secured connection for file transfer. You can also try NFS, but, FTP would be a better option, as you are using different OS.

Sachin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

There are lots of security options provided by XI...at Message Level as well as Transport level. You can used them to secure your message.

Let us know if you want to know about security feature of XI.

Nilesh