cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach to group the Webdynpro applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SDN Community,

I need to develop and group 6 different Wedynpro(Java) applications with authentication to R/3. The end user should be able to browse through these different application once he is logged in after the R/3 authentication. Can you please tell me what are the different options that I have and what is the best approach here.

Thanks!

Surya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Your approach can be divided into two DCs: one DC in which all models including user authentication model are created. In other DC you can use first DC and create appications.

Regards,

Ganga.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

V. Your question is a little open-ended. Can you give some more specifics about what you're asking?

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Thanks for your reply. My task is for the customer to log in into my application and check his purchase orders, invoices, quotations etc. Is it that I need to create a different WebDynpro projects to display each of these or It would be nice to create only one WebDynpro project and multiple WD applicaitons with multiple WebDynpro components(each component handling one functionality of displaying the purchase order, invoices etc). In either case the user should be given a login screen where he is going to be authenticated and displayed the corresponding screen to navigate to check his purchase orders, invoices etc. Please advice me.

Thanks!

Surya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

If display is only thing you need to do for Purchase Orders,invoices, then I think it is better to create multiple WD applicaitons with multiple WebDynpro components(each component handling one functionality of displaying the purchase order, invoices etc) <b>in a single Web Dynpro project</b>.

But if functionality wise it has lot more than display functionality( i.e. Create insert, update delete functionality as well) then you better go for diffrenet Web Dynpro projects.

Regards,

ganga.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ganga,

Thanks for your reply. If I create multiple applications, can you please tell me how I can make the user to navigate between these applications once he logged in and also can you please throw some inputs how I can make him authenticated against the R/3.

Thanks!

Surya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

V. Ask 100 developers a "best approach" question and you're likely to get 100 different answers so bear in mind that this is just MY opinion. I haven't seen any kind of official 'best practices' from SAP.

In our environment, we're running all our Web Dynpro apps on the portal so we don't have to worry about the login process.

As for authenticating against R/3, we use JCO connections and SSO so the users never get any login screen other than the one for the Portal.

Now about your "one vs many" applications question... Personally, I would avoid creating many applications. Unless, that is, they are totally independent. As I said earlier, you could get many different answers to this and I don't know that any is the right.

For me, it's easier to put everything in one component and just have different views/windows for the separate screens. Then have one application to run it.

We have a couple of situations where we put things in different components but then you get into the cross-component communication. Not that it's terribly difficult but why introduce that unless it's necessary. All this stuff is difficult enough! : )

I've glanced through SAP's ESS/MSS Web Dynpro code and it seems like they take the opposite approach. There are literally hundreds of DCs and within each there are lots of Components and Applications.

Personally, I find it very difficult to maintain an app that is composed of so many pieces.

On the other hand, I think SAP does it their way because it gives them the ability to reuse the code more easily by making everything a separate component.

Hopefully, that helps a little bit instead of just confusing you even more. : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

V. Ask 100 developers a "best approach" question and you're likely to get 100 different answers so bear in mind that this is just MY opinion. I haven't seen any kind of official 'best practices' from SAP.

In our environment, we're running all our Web Dynpro apps on the portal so we don't have to worry about the login process.

As for authenticating against R/3, we use JCO connections and SSO so the users never get any login screen other than the one for the Portal.

Now about your "one vs many" applications question... Personally, I would avoid creating many applications. Unless, that is, they are totally independent. As I said earlier, you could get many different answers to this and I don't know that any is the right.

For me, it's easier to put everything in one component and just have different views/windows for the separate screens. Then have one application to run it.

We have a couple of situations where we put things in different components but then you get into the cross-component communication. Not that it's terribly difficult but why introduce that unless it's necessary. All this stuff is difficult enough! : )

I've glanced through SAP's ESS/MSS Web Dynpro code and it seems like they take the opposite approach. There are literally hundreds of DCs and within each there are lots of Components and Applications.

Personally, I find it very difficult to maintain an app that is composed of so many pieces.

On the other hand, I think SAP does it their way because it gives them the ability to reuse the code more easily by making everything a separate component.

Hopefully, that helps a little bit instead of just confusing you even more. : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the double-post. Problem with connection made me think it hadn't posted.