cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the root folder for .dtc?

Former Member
0 Kudos

After I installed the DS, I find the root folder for .dtc is my local directory such as:

C:\Documents and Configuration\WChen\.dtc

How can I change it to:

D:\Projects\.dtc

?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wei Chen,

Check out Menu of DS Window>Preferences>Workbench-->Workspace

Regards,

Ganga.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gangadharayya. That points to the workspace used by Eclipse. The '.dtc' folder is used if you're working with DCs and, I'm pretty sure, has nothing to do with the Eclipse workspace.

Wei, just curious. Why do you want to change that path? Don't misunderstand my question. SAP has given me the "Why would you want to do THAT?" response plenty of times whenever I brought up a situation that was different than they way they thought developers would create apps or use their product(s).

So I'm not asking "why do you want to" because I think you're wrong in wanting to do that. I'm just curious.

I can't say for sure but I suspect that it might be not so easy to do that. I've installed Netweaver several times and I don't remember EVER being asked for a path for the '.dtc' folder structure.

From my personal experience, the whole NDS, J2EE engine, install process, etc. is so touchy that once I've got it installed I don't want to mess with it. So I was just curious if there was some technical reason or just personal preference for changing the folder.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

sorry for the late reply.

Seems the SAPs slogan should changed to "Why would you want to do THAT?" But my reply is: Why not? Just kidding.

Ok, the reason why I want to change the root folder is: my PC has two partitions C and D. The C, which is normally for program installation has just 6 GB. I find it's to small. The D has 40 GB. But our system admin has installed the SAP NWDS on C. So I want to change the root folder to D.

Is it possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

1)IMPORTANT: Check-in all your activities.

2)Close all DCs.

3)IMPORTANT:Remove any existing development configurations.

4)Window -> Preferences ->Java Development Configuration -> Development Configuration Pool. In this window, change the path to Root Folder. Simply edit the path (you cannot physically create folder with name ".dtc" in Windows.

5)Close Studio.

6)Delete the existing .dtc folder.

7)Start Studio.

8)Make sure Root folder still points to the new path.

9)If everything goes fine, Studio should not be creating .dtc again in the old path. If it did not, import your dev conf and carry on.

P.S:Its always better to take a backup of your sources.

Nutshell, YES you can change path of .dtc

Regards,

Rajit

Message was edited by:

Rajit Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajit, Just curious. How did you get the Root Folder field to be 'editable'? When I go to that screen the field is greyed out and I can't enter anything.

Again, just curious but have you actually tried doing this?

My experience with SAP has been that it's really touchy/sensitive. Also, I noticed that the note above the field says "You should not change root, if the root contains some installed configurations."

Please post your result after you try this. I'd like to know if everything goes well.

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I've actually changed it from the default C:\Documents and settings\<user>\.dtc to another folder on the same drive due to network reasons (roaming profiles in my company).

And the Root Field is greyed out as long as you have an active (installed) Development Configuration in the Studio. You've to remove it, (and any others) and then you will be able to change it. And that's why my instructions in the previous post include a step to remove any existing Configs.

Lemme know if you need more details.

Rajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajit. I missed the part about removing any existing configurations from workspace before changing path. My bad! : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajit,

sorry for the late reply.

I've tried what you said but when I restart the studio the .dtc is created again in my home directory.

What do you mean here "import your dev conf and carry on."?