cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI auto update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to configure the auto update of SAP GUI in noDlg mode?

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is possible. at least with SAPGUIO 6.40 and below by putting this line in the user's login script:

Servername\SAPgui\setup\sapsetup.exe /p:"package_name" /NoDLG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. I had already set up this solution. In fact, I wanted to use the functionality of auto update of SAP Logon but without leaving choice of the updates to the user.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bonjour Nancy,

with the option I provided, the user will not be offered to choose anything.

the only thing they could possibly do is to close the dos-like window... and installation will fail. other than that, no user intervention needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Eric,

you're right but the question is : is it possible to do the same thing only with the auto update fonctionnality of sap gui?

when we use auto update of sap gui a window is showed and the user has to choose which component to install... It is not very simple...

we've found the /NoDLG solution but it needs to have it on a logon script and it executes each time the user connect

regards

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok then,

I cannot say, I never really used the auto update feature you are talking about. I know it exists but never used it. I turned that option off. and I set the SAPGUI update script instead.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Olivier,

I have been unable to update SAP GUI clients via auto update although the command line method is successsful. Do you know which files or registry entries are used to find the install server for auto update or is there a log file created on the workstation to assit with troubshooting?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can add this scripting to the “On End Install” section of a SAP GUI 710 package event script to pre-define the auto-update settings for SAP Logon :

NwEngine.Context.Log.Write "Event: Setting the auto-update registry key for SAP Logon"

strRegUpdate = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPsetup\SAPstart\AutoUpdate\SAPLogon.exe\UpdateMode"

strRegProb = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPsetup\SAPstart\AutoUpdate\SAPLogon.exe\Prob"

'Option 1: Update Mode is switched on with update frequency = 10. The user is not allowed to configure.

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegUpdate, "REG_SZ", "ForceOn"

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegProb, "REG_DWORD", "10"

'Option 2: Update Mode is switched off. The user is not allowed to switch it on.

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegUpdate, "REG_SZ", "ForceOff"

'Option 3: Update Mode is switched on with update frequency = 10. The user is allowed to change the configuration.

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegUpdate, "REG_SZ", "On"

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegProb, "REG_DWORD", "10"

'Option 4: Update Mode is switched off. The user is allowed to change the configuration.

NwEngine.Shell.SetRegValue strRegUpdate, "REG_SZ", "Off"

Log files are visible in C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the registry info regarding auto update, but I don't think I've asked the right question regarding auto update...I'll try again...

Where does auto update store the path to the installation server and can this be modified on the SAP GUI clients if the path is changed?

We have patched our installation server to 7.10 patch level 3 and have enabled auto update on the SAP GUI clients. However, the clients fail to auto update after the alloted number of double clicks on the desktop icon. There is no dialog displayed or log files created when attempting to auto update so I have no idea why it is failing.

The "InstServer" string value in "HKLM\Software\SAP\NwSAPsetup\General" has the correct path to the installation server.

I can force an update from the command line so at least I know the installation server is OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This functionality (autoupdate from saplogon) worked really poorly in 6.40 and I think I remember that SAP disabled it in one of the patches. I'd test very thoroughly before rolling out.

Regards,

John

Answers (0)