cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Client Lib on App Server not updated ?

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have just completed upgrading the kernel and database on our production system which has a central instance(DB server) and two dialog instances(App servers). This is a ECC6 system running on SLES linux.

On the Application servers I noticed there is two kernel directories, one in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run(which is symlink to /usr/sapmnt/<SID>/exe) and one in /usr/sap/<SID>/D21/exe. The first is same path as central instance the second being different for the Application server itself. My question is what is the significance of having two locations on the application servers for the kernel and do I have to update both each time I do a kernel update ?

My other question is, after updating the kernel I noticed on the central instance the client library was updated to same as kernel release 7.6.3.007 but on the application servers the client library remains as 7.6.0.035. Do I have to update the db client library on the application server too and if so how ? I installed the kernel the same for each system by extracting SAPEXEDB_102-20001368.SAR and SAPEXE_102-20001368.SAR to the above locations then ran saproot.sh as root. I updated the DB via SAPUPD on the central instance. Perhaps there is another client library install for application servers ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nelis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member618758
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

A good way is to set your dir/executables to NFS mounted exe

directory in use from the application servers, in that case, you

only need to apply the kernel patch on the central instance only, otherwise in this case you'll have to apply the change to both CI and apps servers.

Hope this helps,

George

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The question regarding the DB client lib was answered by Markus in the MaxDB forum:

"Note 649814 - Updating MaxDB/ liveCache client software" gives the answer.

I'm still confused though as to why there are two kernels ie two separate locations on each Application server not including symlinks. Could this just have been a consequence of an upgrade from 46C to ECC6 ? As far as I can see it only uses the kernel in /usr/sap/<SID>/D21/exe on the application server though it would be nice if someone could confirm this so as to avoid confusion in future.

Regards,

Nelis

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Nelis,

I would handle it the following way

1) shutdown all instances

2) remove /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/exe

3) symlink /sapmnt/<SID>/exe to /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/exe

to get rid of this mess. If you like, you still can open a customer call on component bc-ins and ask there, why sapinst created this structure.

Thanks,

Hannes Kuehnemund

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Hannes, that makes more sense.

Is that how a normal Dialog instance directory structure would look ? Unfortunately I didn't have any other application servers to compare and both mine had same directory structure.

Kind Regards,

Nelis

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nelis,

I did some research and found, that normally /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/exe should be a symlink by default. So the structure is okay, but with a symlink. Maybe something went wrong during upgrade.

Thanks,

Hannes Kuehnemund