Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Import All

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please explain me the differences between Import All and Selective Import.

I am looking for thedifference in the execution of Import steps that take place when we select either of the above two methods.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

The major difference is, in "Import all" option, all the TR will be imported in parallel. (i.e, all the will be in almost similar phase).

when there are any dependent TRs then it is not adviseble to go for this option. if the first one fails then all the dependents TRs will also fail. And if the number of TRs are huge, there will be lot of performance issue (as all the work processes will be used for the imports). More over there will be great chances of importing some

wrong / or un important TRs.

its always adviceble to go for selective import. as all the above mentioned issues can be taken care by us.

hope this info clears ur doubts.

with regards,

Raj

<i>plz award suitable points</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

I dont agree with your points.

First of all SAP recommends to go with Import All option. It is the best solution because then SAP controls everything and it saves time considerabily.Also the dependency concept that you have mentioned is not correct actually. I have a twice an year activity in which I have to import upto 5,000 transports in production in a single go and I always use Import All option and have never faced this issue.

In import All SAP creates a singular object list of all transports that are part of the import and then <b>adjusts version dependency</b> accordingly.Parallel imports happen but only when there is no dependence.Just try IMPORT_ALL for once and then view the import monitor and the files /usr/sap/trans/tmp. Of course dependencies like main report and include or table and table entires need to be taken care at the time of releasing transports not importing them. I mean if you have table with entries then you need to first release the transport with the table first and then the one with the entires. Using selective imports for taking care of such dependencies is not very efficient.

Coming back to how import all happens singular list is created and then objects in inactive form are imported. Then after the objects have got imported their generation happens and versions are activated.

IMPORT ALL is the SAP recommended strategy!! SAP is very smart to take care of sequence of import as long as the developers or consultants are smart enough about sequence of release of transports.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great explanation Ruchit!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gautam,

Consider a scenario If a change requires multiple change requests because of a

failed acceptance test, ALL change requests relating to the change

must be imported in that case we use import_all option.in case of selective imports

You can make transports infrequently and does not allow fixed import times.

&#149;go through the transport pdf in help .sap.com to get more out of it

Regards,

Jafer