cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why it take so long to start the SAP Web Application Server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I read from the doc that starting the SAP Web Application Server will take from 25 to 40 minutes, I don't believe. But as I try it on my machine, it does take really so long. Isn't it a wonder?

I am used to work with Tomcat, JBoss, BEA etc. None of them will take so long.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chen,

In a WAS I assume that it has dual stack (ABAP + JAVA)

For the startup of a ABAP Stack it generally takes about 2 minutes or so.

And for the WAS JAVA STACK should take around 8 to 15 minutes depending on the application, services and hardware sizing.

The reason for the long time required for a WAS Java Stackis:

JAVA Stack depends on three diffrent components: a) dispatcher(java) b)SDM c) Server0 process.

Now before the execution of all these the first thing what happens is the initializastion of jcontrol which inturn initiates the java bootstrap process.

At this moment of time the JVM environment takes some time for the loading and memory management. Once the JVM is loaded successfully then only the three compnents (SDM, dispatcher and server0) are initiated to run.

The SDM and dispatcher do started up with a couple of services and hence require not toomuch of time.

But the main component i.e Server0 process consumes a lot of time to startup at it requires many of the Java stack services to start before it reaches running state.

Again the port configuration for HTTP for SDM , dispatcher , server0 and java process also takes place.

So this was an overview for the Time required for a WAS Stack to come up in operational condition.

Apart from this , seeing specifically to your scenario, wherein it takes 25 - 40 minutes could be an issue with the Hardaware sizing of the Server and the Sofware compnents / tools loaded. We might need to analyze it in more detail to get a clear picture.

I hope this helps you!

Regards,

Prem

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wei Chen,

Dont know which document you read.

But normally its not take that long.

For me its only take about 1-3 minutes.

Regards,

Fendi Suyanto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fendi,

I downloaded the "SAP NetWeaver 2004s Java Trial Version". There is a file "start.htm" included. It tells as follow:

For your convenience and to minimize system resources the server must be started manually using the SAP Management Console:

find shortcut for "SAP Management Console" on your desktop or in "Start" -> "All Programs"

open the SAP Management Console

in the left panel expand SAP Systems node, you will find the installed system (J2E)

right-click on J2E and "Start" the system

<b>This process takes about 45-100 minutes</b> depending on your system. You might check the status by expanding the nodes. A green dot indicates a successful start. If the status turns to “stopped” you might try to right-click on J2E -> Stop, wait for all processes to be stopped and repeat the steps above.