cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never perform offline backups : reasonable ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our production environnement (SAP ECC6, Oracle 10.2) will soon be opened to the end-users. For the moment we are performing offline backups, but the system is intended to be available 24/7. It has been decided that we will perform daily online backups only.

I must say I'm quite worried about that. I have asked our Oracle DBA, he answered that even though it is easier to recover from an offline backup, there is no risk of never doing an offline backup, ... if all the needed redo logs are here.

Still, I'm not reassured, what are SAP recommandations about never performing offline backup ?

Should I insist on allowing us, enough downtime, each week to perform an offine backup ?

Thank you for your precise answers.

Message was edited by:

Indus COMPAS

Message was edited by:

Indus COMPAS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

with online backups you can ensure that you will recover in case of problems.

however the good strategy is to have an offline backup once a week (saturday/sunday night).

to avoid the downtime you can use the split backup technology: this will stop the database to split the disks and the backup will start at backup server.

Which Backup software do you use?

Hope this helps

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Backup solution is effective if only there are regular restore and recovery tests performed. This is the only way bring comfort in the team and the business.

We have been doing online backup for a long time now for a 2 TB DB and have restore / recovery procedure on the test system done monthly with no issues.

There are very robast backup solutions available in the market, like tivoli, Netbackup and can be integrated with RMAN.

Regards,

Nisch

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Eric is correc, there are more options.

You can check the following:

<a href="https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000487237&">Backup & Restore Concepts for mySAP Business Suite</a>

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahmed is right, it is better and safer to take an offline backup, once a week.

but online backups are well known and are safe to use. no worries there, but you are dependent on your backup AND your offline redologs, so a higher risk is involved.

for 24/7 shops, online backups is the only option... but if you can handle a few minutes downtime, you can:

shutdown SAP+DB

split your disk mirror (2 minutes)

startup DB+SAP

mount the DB on your other disk

backup this instance

resync disks.