cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elimination of Punctuation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need to eliminate the punctuations in a particular field data (say, Vendors-> Name1). But, I am not able to do so by creating any rule in assignment strategy.

Please help.

Thanks,

Shibaji.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shibaji ,

While importing data in the import manager right click on the NAME1 field & choose the menu option replace there you can specify the punctuation you want to replace & the value to be replaced.

If you have already imported the data in to the repository & you need to remove the punctuation, then in the assignments tab create an assignment like this for example where all # values in name 1 field are repalced with a blank.

If((Name1,Has_any_values("#"," "))

Do let us know in case your issue is resolved & rewad points accordingly !

Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

Thanks for the solution, but I could not find any function like "Has_any_values", the available function is "Has_any" and it returns true/false.

Furthermore, I am using MDM Server Version 5.5.40.83.

Looking for your expert support on this.

With Regards,

Shibaji.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shibaji,

"has_any" is the way to go. It's correct, that this function returns true/false and this is exactly wath you need. Anita's solution is doing the following:

IF a name HAS ANY # within its value, THEN it is REPLACING the # with a blank value.

The only thing you need to do is to replace the # with those characters you want to explace within your names.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Michael,

I am also doing the same thing like also want to replace a certain value in one field.

But the problem is, the Assignment expression which I am using is returning ony true or false.

My Assignment Expression

If(Field name,HAS_ANY("Old value","New value"))

This expression after execution replaces the old value with either True or False.

Please do suggest......

Regards Tejas...............

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I wanted to mean exactly the same thing as pointed by Tejas. Please suggest further on this.

Regards,

Shibaji.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey guys,

well I've checked this in the current data manager and I've got to confess that the world is indeed a bit different. It seems that the current assignments are not really capable to fulfill this kind of task. If you check pages 183ff of the data manager reference guide, you'll get an explanation of the expression functions and what their doing. Currently there's no replace possible. I'll ask my colleagues if something like this is planned, or not.

Nevertheless I think that there's a possible workarround following Anita's suggestion using the Import Manager:

<i>While importing data in the import manager right click on the NAME1 field & choose the menu option replace there you can specify the punctuation you want to replace & the value to be replaced.</i>

If you have already data in MDM, you could syndicate the records once and re-import them and do the cleansing during the import. You can use the "Update Mapped Fields" option to update the values.

BR Michael