cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to change maintenance plant of a PM equipment

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need to change the maintenance and planning plant of an equipment in order to specify his new location when it is transfered. Although it is described as a normal procedure in SAP help, we receive error message IO 231 saying that "maintenance plant A and planning plant B are in different controlling areas" and SAP does not let us proceed with the plant change ! Did anybody have the same experience ? I believe that it is probably a customizing setting somewhere in FI-CO ! Any help is welcome.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi eric ,

you can change the maintenance and planning plant for the equipement provided the both plants comes under the same controlling area. as in your case the controlling area is different it will not allow to do so. kindly ask the CO consultant to have a look in to it.

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thyagarajan,

thanks for your answer. This is exactly what we are doing, but i was expecting to have a quicker response if somebody have had that issue before.

Regards

Eric.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thyagarajan,

here is what you find in SAP help:

<u><b>Changing the Maintenance Plant</b></u>

<u>Prerequisites</u>

It may be necessary to change the maintenance plant for a piece of equipment. For example when it is to be installed at a functional location which is in another maintenance plant, or when it is to be used in another maintenance plant from now on.

However, you can only change the maintenance plant for a piece of equipment, when the piece of equipment is no longer installed at a functional location.

<u>Changing a maintenance plant has the following consequences:</u>

-The system automatically clears all fields of the master record that are dependent on the maintenance plant.

-A change of maintenance plant can result in a change of company code, which causes the system to clear all fields that are dependent on the company code.

-The company code change can produce a change in the <b>controlling area</b>, which means that the system clears all fields dependent on the controlling area.

So for me, it is clear that having plants in different controlling areas should not prevent us from changing the equipment maintenance plant.

Message was edited by:

Eric Canivet

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi eric,

first clear the planning plant in the equipment master ,save it, then try to change the maintenance plant , i have tried it, its working well

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thyagarajan,

this might be the answer. We set both maintenance and planning plant fields to be required fields. So i cannot blank it. I could imagine to replace this setup by another check in an equipment 'before save' user exit. If this works, this is what we might consider to do. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thyagarajan,

the procedure you did describe above did help me a lot.

Here is what i had to do:

1. clear planning plant field in organisation tab

2. clear maintenance plant field in location tab

3. clear the company code field which is now open for edit

4. enter the new plant code into the maintenance plant field of the location tab

5. and press enter

Thanks for your help.

Eric.

Answers (0)