cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh MAX DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need to do a copy of the prod system to another system( new h/d), what things needs to be taken care in General and also if the Database is MAXDB what are the steps.

Does anybody has the system ref. doc for Content Server( as per my knowledge for K-Pro, content server is installed)....

Regards

Prash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Install a new content server on the second machine and restore a database backup from the first one. This would be the easiest way.

--

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prash,

• Are you SAP customer?

SAP customers could review the SAP notes::

1014782 FAQ: MaxDB system copy

361123 SAP content server and security

962019 Heterogeneous system copy of a MaxDB Content Server Storage

129352 Homogeneous system copy with MaxDB (SAP DB)

• Are you going to do a Heterogeneous or Homogeneous system copy of a MaxDB Content Server ?

For SAP customers the documents available at

service.sap.com/ContentServer & service.sap.com/Kpro

< -> SAP Content Server -> FAQs SAP Content Server

-> section "Answers on SAP Content Server Administration"

< Question: Is it possible to relocate an SAP Content Server? >>

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natalia,

Is there any option of attaching and deattaching the files. I dont have the backup and no space for backup. I want to physically copy the files and paste on new server. And then wants to attach on the new server.

The same which is possible with SQL Server. Is there any option in SAP DB- 7.3.

Or what is the alternative?

Regards

Prashant

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What you can do is a remote copy over pipes, check

Note 489615 - SAP DB or liveCache system copies via remote pipe

Keep the source system running and do a backup to a pipe, create the database on the second system and take the pipe output of the first system to fill the database. Works flawlessly here.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

With SAP-DB, I am trying to add the media to Disk for backup, but gives the error of access. what needs to be entered in the location field. I tried giving D:\ and lots of other try. But everytime gave the same error.

Is there any parameter file to enter any details in SAP DB??

I am not able to move ahead without creating the media for backup!!!!

Please suggest?

Regards

Prashant

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you trying to use a pipe or are you trying to use the filesystem? What error message do you get? (check knldiag.)

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think with this we will go round and round. Because SAP DB does not have good documentation as others. A simple thing is very complicated out here.

okay fine

I tried the pipe funda, ( created the pipe in source and not in destination) with the media things, while backup it gave me error message as /file/pipe not open. Now how do I open the pipe??

2. The other type of backup is the filesystem, which I could not get through the Media thing. I cannot make the media for backuping up to disk? What is the location needs to be given? I check the knldiag file and gives me the messages for which I tried lots of option given in the location of the media.

I tried with
d:\ , D:\
d$\, C:\ all possible option. But not succeded?

--

Prashant

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think with this we will go round and round. Because

SAP DB does not have good documentation as others. A

simple thing is very complicated out here.

I don´t think so.

I tried with

d: , 😧

d$, C: all possible

option. But not succeded?

The problem seems to be, that you didn´t understand the concept of a pipe.

A pipe is not a normal file on filesystem, it´s a special file, that acts as a "tunnel" between processes. One process at one end puts data in, another process takes it out.

The name you entered is wrong, use check the note again. The name must be of

.pipe<name>

So you can use e.g .

.pipecopy

Don´t think of pipes being "something" in the filesystem, you won´t see them as regular files (in Windows).

If you want to backup to the filesystem you have to enter a path and a filename so create e. g. a directory

d: ackup

and enter as name in the media manager (where you create the backup devices)

d:backupdatabackup

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Max DB is a height of Max.....

Markus, I am not getting with the things here. For the pipe things, concept is okay, but practical things is not happening, its saying pipe is not open? Now what to do for it?

2. The backup on disk is also not happening, given all the require thing mentioned by you, but gives 903 host file input error, access error. I have tried all the possibiliy but no use.............

I have some screen of older version of SAP DBM GUI, and it was ok, but 7.4 does not seems to have more options as it says?

I am not getting the media up and what about getting the database up??? It will take ages .......

Please help..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The backup to pipe doesn't do anything before you don't start the restore on the second system.

If you backup on filesystem you need to make sure, the directory has the correct permissions so the user running the database can write into that directory.

In any case - check the knldiag file in the rundirectory of your instance (c:\sapdb\data\wrk\<SID>) and post the (error-) output here, then it's much easier to help you.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I found the cause of the problem. Initially the location has be in UPPER CASE letter( the DRIVE LETTER)

I was giving d:\...

but it worked when given D:\..

Funny..........!!!!!!!!!111

Now I landed in another problem ( as usual). Now the backup is done. But when trying to click on restore--> The Database option is not highlighted. That means I cannot restore the database. Only highlighted is the Index and DevSpaces, whcih I dont want. Why the database option is not visible?

Also second, I want to take the backup on network, tried all the option but still 903, error.....blah blah....

The pipe funda I am not clear. When taking backup through pipe, it is giving message " 903.. ....Pipe not open??????

Please suggest any possibility to move ahead!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prashant,

Regarding the backup on network error have a look into your other thread.

Regarding the pipe problem, please report exactly what you tried, the exact error message returned by the tool you use and corresponding error message from file knldiag. Without this information it is hard to figure out what is the problem.

Best regards,

Tilo Heinrich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tilo,

The backup gone through, after both the system logged into the Domain. Now I am stuck with the db not coming online after recovery.

It is going in the COLD state and not online?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prashant,

Please see into the other thread.

Best regards,

Tilo Heinrich