cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel selection confusion?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to download Kernel for a ERP 2004 system but i am confused which one to select? I get following four options:

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT UNICODE for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

From SAP System status i know that the underlying OS is SunOS 5.2 and database is Oracle 9.2 but how do i find out if its 32-BIT or 64-BIT and UNICODE or Non-UNICODE? Also, i don't see any component download selection option for SunOS under the first two options, i.e.,

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

- SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE for SAP ECC Server (From SP071 To SP175)

So, does it mean that SunOS 5.2 doesn't run on 32-BIT Systems? Following is some data from SAP System Status menu which might give some information on the type of System:

Host Data:

Operating System: SunOS

Machine type: sun4u

Kernel Information:

Kernel release: 640

Compilation: SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-16 sun4u Aug 21 2005

System Information:

Operating System: SunOS 5.8, SunOS 5.9, SunOS 5.10

OP release: 5.8

I don't have privileges to connect at the OS level, so please tell me how i can find out using SAPGUI. I would really appreciate for answering this question. Thanks.

Regards,

Vasu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

afaik sap r/3 is not supported on 32bit unix platforms (any more)...<b>so you will have to choose any of the 64bit options</b>...either unicocde or non unicode...you can check the system status (sapgui -> status) to be sure

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helpful answers guys. I checked the ST06->HW Info and really couldn't get if the System was 32/64-bit. But, since the machine type says Sun4u i think its SPARC System which must be 64-Bit.

And also Andreas you are right, R/3 doesn't seem to be supported on 32-Bit Unix Platforms.

Regards,

Vasu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On Solaris you can use

isainfo -v

or use

ldd /usr/sap/<SID>/exe/disp+work

and see what the actual kernel is.

--

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry - the command is

file /usr/sap/<SID>/exe/disp+work

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

You can found the information about your system in menu SYSTEM - STATUS when you login to SAP.

If in the system status say your system is unicode yes than your should choice UNICODE.

And to find our your OS is 64 or 32-bit, you can use ST06 - Detail Analysis Menu - HW Info.

After you get all the information than can you select the correct one for your SAP.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Fendi Suyanto