cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info about I/O scheduling and Disk - PART 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Continuing on from my previous thread () SAP have confirmed that Veritas Storage Foundation cannot be used with Linux.

So from OSS Note 784391<i>(<b>In the case of SAP systems where the database is running on a separate server, and no SAP system is running on that DB server, then binary-only Linux kernel modules and drivers may be used, so long as the distributor and database provider support this situation</b></i>.)

Based on that we have decided to distribute the instances. What would be the best way to move my current central system (ie CI + DB on same server) to a distributed system where the CI will be on one server and the DB on another?

I just want to move the Central Instance to another server and continue using the database which will remain on the current server.

I was thinking of using the system copy option through sapinst ie the path in the gui is:

SRM -> Additional SW Life-Cycle Tasks -> System Copy -> Oracle -> Target System -> Distributed System - AS ABAP

This option has three phases:

Global Host Preparation

Database Instance

Central Instance

I was thinking of doing the first phase and the last phase skipping the database instance phase and just use the existing database. Would this work?

Has anyone tried anything similar before? Would appreciate any suggestions on how to go about this?

Regards,

Chengappa Ballachanda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only "main difference" between a dialog instance and the central instance are the profiles, the kernel is the same.

So what you can do is

- install a dialog instance on a separate server to become CI

- copy the CI profiles over and adapt them to the new server (hostname etc.)

- shutdown your old CI and start the new CI

A system copy does nothing else than unpacking the kernel and adapting the user environment and profiles, depending on if it´s a CI or a DI.

--

Markus

Answers (0)