cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1 when loading external data

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am still working on this BW 3.5 SP11 and I am having issues with the data uploads.

I am getting the error 'Error 1 when loading external data'

I searched and was able to find some recommendations such as saving the file using the notepad file format to check for quotes, close the data file, etc.

I even tried 1 record, look through the preview, and the error persisted.

I asked the users to give me the developer's key on the R3 side to try and load through R3 using tables, and they gave me a big fat NO.

Are there any settings from the BW system that will allow me load without this error?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dear

1. Error 1 comes when your file is open...check it,

2. File format should be CSV or ASCII

3. check the infopackage setting "ignore header line" if it is checked then ur first line will be treated as header so no data...

Thanks

Tripple k

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. The file is closed

2. File format is CSV

3. There is no header line and the tab does not have it check for this field.

BTW, I have the following for the External data tab

Data separator = '

Escape sign = "

Character used for decimal point = .

All others are blank.

Why is it that the column with the decimal point dollar value has to be double click to see the last decimal point digits?

Crazy system...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do u mind pasting a record here from ur flat file ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about if I post the error that I couldn't find an asnwer for it. I think it has to do with the system connection.

Would this be a Basis issue?

<i>Error when opening the data file C:\Documents and Settings\Freaky.Giant\Desktop\2 (origin C)

Message no. RSAR180

Diagnosis

File C:\Documents and Settings\Freaky.Giant\Desktop\2 (origin C) could not be opened.

Origin:

A : Application server

C : Client workstation

Procedure

Check whether the file entered exists and is not been used by other applications.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. You need to make sure that file located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Freaky.Giant\Desktop" (i think your desktop). try create file without Spaces.

Let us know where the file is located and file name 2 without any File Extensioni.e. CSV or XLS etc).

Nagesh Ganisetti.

• Assign points if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

for CSV files,

data separator should be , not '

try changing it..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data Seperator should be Comma <b>,</b> as Padhibha mentioned dat shud probly solve it unless its a Typo by u.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all,

The issue is really probably a connectivity problem. I was able to load some data files and now all the sudden I can't anymore for the same files. The separator was a typo, but on the system it is a comma.

It seems that the error is very misleading, but I read most searched posts, and the answers from all the members were that they entered the correct file name, and I also entered in the correct filel name. I even tried the file name wthtout space and move the file do 3 other different locations, I was still getting the same errors.

The thrid error I got was about source system. I sent the error to Basis. You know the only thing to test this would be to use the table method to transfer the data, but they refuse to do it becaue they said it was done before without using table on the R3 side.

I am sure they wiill find someone else to do if they don't believe the errors that I had sent to them. I can't really give any points because I did all that you have specified here before, and I wanted to know whether there would be some system settings, but nothing of that was mentioned here or even suggested for me to send the errors to Basis.

Also, the error prevented loading data to the PSA, so I couldn't check there either.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. assigning points is your personal call... that will boost confidence and Interest to other members who are working on your threads.

2. there should be some problem with your file...let us know your File Format and 1 Sample Record, Infosource Record.

Table is not mandatory here why are talking about R3 Table? do you have any Date? check the date formats, Amount Formats.

1. let us know File Name, File Location (local workstation or Application server), complete file path, 1 Sample Record with title of the colomn, Infosource Structure.

Nagesh Ganisetti.

• Assign Points if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created an ABAP program to check for the data on the R3 side and added those records to the table. The table has all the standard data elements to check the validity of the data. The disadvantage on the BW side is that the error is not very descriptive; It kept saying "Error 1 when loading external data " at the scheduler tab.

The ABAP program would give me a runtime error whenever there was an issue with the data. For example, there were so many records with expontential values (-1.11E-11), and I was not able to eye them, but the program would stop at each record with a runtime error, and I was able to do a search from the data file to identitfy the row error and continue on to the next run to check for the next error. This is one use of the ABAP program and table.

The other use is to test the transfer from the R3 system to BW to see if the connectivity is working. The only way to do this is either by a transparent table or a structure from R3 if you have already used the table to check the data validity. There is a difference between the connectivity from the client workstation and the R3 application server to the BW system. This method is most efficient for checking data when the user had refused to correct the data and resend for you to load.

More over, you have nothing to lose but to do whatever it takes to get the data to the BW system, so the question why is already explained here for you, but if the question is if it would be necessary, the answer is for sure it would be necessary to get the data for testing for the time being. The error can be looked at later on.

What I can't really explain but have noticed that the data files that I used to load was able to load to BW and ready for reporting, but after a day, the data files would have the same error 1 when I tried to test again those that already have bene loaded.

I am not sure what is your intention would be by asking me to post the data and other BW objects. Of course, you will say the data looks fine or other answers that alreay have been mentioned here or the posts that I have searched through. I would prefer to move on to something else to do the proof of concept that will be productive rather than exploring the same issues that would get nowhere.

Technical people tend to do the process of elimination and zoom in the problem but non-technical people normally only question why?

I will award points even though I think some of the answers have been repeated and that I am aware of them already.

Former Member
0 Kudos

why don't you paste one record with colomn names? is there any client specific information which you can't share?

1. change all the data in CSV file to charecter type.

2. Error 1 will come only in certain cases.

3. <b>let us know File Name, File Location (local workstation or Application server), complete file path, 1 Sample Record with title of the colomn, Infosource Structure.</b>

Nagesh Ganisetti.

• Assign Points if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>I didn't get a response soon, so I am removing the confidential data.</b>

I changed the data format to TXT, still there was the same error

The complete path is specified in one of the replies.

It is Local workstation.

I am not sure what's the big deal about trying the table method for now and do a research on the error 1 issues when all the data has been loaded. The user refused again to agree with my approach. I was saying that the network could be the problem.

I think it is selfish and narrow minded to be so fixated on 1 approach. I think they should have someone else try it and see .

Someon esle had the same problem

Error from Monitor

<i>Error message from the source system

Diagnosis

An error occurred in the source system.

System response

Caller 09 contains an error message.

Further analysis:

The error occurred in Extractor .

Refer to the error message.

Procedure

How you remove the error depends on the error message.

Note

If the source system is a Client Workstation, then it is possible that the file that you wanted to load was being edited at the time of the data request. Make sure that the file is in the specified directory, that it is not being processed at the moment, and restart the request.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. change the Date Format to YYYYMMDD in File (i can see 0032007... first of it's wrong. change to 20070309), change the file name to "2007_per_3to12_actuals.csv" for now.

Open the File in Spread Sheet, change each colomn to Text. Right click on colomn, go with Format Cells. in the Number Tab, select Text.

Save your file as CSV File. Make sure Data Seperator in the Infopackage is ','.

Update Your Email.

Note: You can achive same thing by creating Table without any issues.

Nagesh Ganisetti.

• Assign points if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you're wrong on the date. It is Fiscal Period and not the date YYYYMMDD. I changed it to 2007003, renamed it to test.csv, have only 5 records in the file, did a preview, double checked on the separator, and the same error was still there.

It should not be that complicated for loading flat file data, so I think it is an issue for Basis and could be the network,

You also have to think that I am working on a system that has SP of 11 for BW 3.5. The user has not the most robust system because they orginally feared that deleting and reloading data would shutdown the system and it took Basis a week to recover it back for use.

It is a power struggle with these users whom question, and they are not thought provoking towards the end results.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When u r getting Error 1 issue, First check the data in the PSA in which packet and which record getting wrong.

There might be some reasons for getting Error1.

1. If it is flat file there is a problem in flat file.

2. If it is in R/3 edit the particular record and load it againg

3. Check the transfer rules might be there is also problem.

Regards,

HARI GUPTA