cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

In setting up alerts in 11.5 SP3, I specified a mail relay server under 'Metric/Alert Services' . The error log kept recording 'Unknown host' though I can IP ping the mail server from my xMII server. Finally I decided using a mail relay server was maybe the issue so I switched the server spec to an internal company Microsoft Exchange server with a valid email address and authentication name/password.

xMII still isn't issuing emails - the error logs are still recording 'Unknown host' with the original mail relay server information. It doesn't seem like it's 'picked up' the new Exchange server information yet the Exchange server info is in the Mail Server table in ActivePortal.

Do I need to restart the xMII servlet to be able to use the new mail server settings?

Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try testing your mail server using the SendMail action in the BLS . That could probably guide you (with some detailed errors)as to why xMII is unable to connect to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good idea, Udayan. I'll try it and let you know.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried a SendMail transaction and it worked just fine. No errors.

I restarted the ServletExec service on my server in an attempt to get xMII to recognize the new Exchange email server specs. The 'Unknown host' errors in the General log have gone away but I'm still not getting any emailed alerts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you see any Alerts in your Alert Log?

I remember from one of your last posts , you were struggling in setting up the Metrics/Alerts as in you were not able to record any data in your Current & Historical tables. Hope you did resolve that.

Once you have the Alerts working you need to have Alert subscribers in the Active Portal.

I am not sure how to add subscribers but I am sure there's a table in the Active Portal that stores the subscribers data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm getting alerts in my log on a regular basis. I created a metric and put it in the 5 min scan group. I designed the monitor to ensure an alert would be generated every time.

In my previous alert attempt I was using an tag query where tag had a colon in it. Apparently colons are not allowed. Sam Castro was here maybe a month ago and caught it. We replaced the colon with an underscore and the alerts worked fine.

Now if I can just get the emails to work!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam are you listening

What about the Alert/eMail subscribers.? Do you have that configured?