cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter valuespecified

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We just upgraded Oracle upgrade in BW landscpae without any problem. Now I'm in the process to upgrade Oracle from 92050 to 10.2.x. for XI landscpae. Here XI is running on HP-Unix and brtools and sapkernel version is 6.40. and Oracle client software version is 92050.

As per databse upgrade guide of Oracle 10g, I upgraded the dboraslib, brtools and SAP kernel (disp+work). After that i upgraded the oracle client software to 92080.

I restarted the server. Now when i executung jobs in DB13 or when i'm creating a new tablespace, it failed with "ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter valuespecified".

I perfored the same steps in BW upgrade and this problem has not occured. I checked the env variable of orasid and sidadm. It seem to be fine.

Any reason for this problem?

Regards

Amar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

before doing database upgrade from 9i to 10g . database patch should be 9.2.0.6

first upgrade your database patch level . check the db upgrade documentation

https://websmp108.sap-ag.de/instguides->other documentaion>database upgrades

Regards,

Maheshwer.p

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per oss note 592657 (step 10), i have added the following in my sidadm env:

BR_ORA_NLS33=/oracle/client/92x_64/ocommon/nls/admin/data

and it fixed our problem. Not sure this is the right way to fix problem as i have never used this env in past but following oss note also recommended to use this parameter.

As per oss note 651797, the BR tools may fail with an ORA-12705. If this happens, set the environment variable BR_ORA_NLS33 to notify the BR tools about the location of the NLS files to be used:

BR_ORA_NLS33 = /oracle/client/92x_<bits>/ocommon/nls/admin/data

Otherwise, the BR tools will use the NLS files on $ORACLE_HOME, which may be incompatible with the libraries used on oracle/client/92x_<bits>.

As per oss note 539922, Consequently, an Oracle client with a lower patch level than the server is always used - in particular, this means that the version of the Oracle Client Library used cannot be greater than the version of the NLS files that are used.

In our server, oracle client version is new one and version of NLS files in $oracle_home is older..

Regards

Amar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Amarjit,

Just in addition to the syafid reply check also the same entry should be done in your

regedit[registry editor]under Hkey_Local_Machine->software->oracle

Regards,

Jafer

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Amarjit.

Please check yr ora<sid> and sap<sid> environment?

If its not there, please put the NLS parameters.

Edit ora<sid> and sap<sid> .profile file and put

NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8DEC

Hope its works..