cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pipe delimited file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

can anybody tell me how the pipe delimited file look like ?? If possible with example. What is the difference between tab delimited, pipe delimited, CSV, flat file, fixed with fomat file and text file ??

Thanks

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

pipe delimited file will have a Pipe symbol(|) in the end.

example can be

Mark Anthony USA |

Susan Price USA |

see all these are flat files and difference will come into picture when doing FCC,other than FCC you won't find much difference

thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir,

Pipe symbol will be only at end ?? or it can be in between the fields also ?? because in case of CSV file you have commas even in between the fields. In case of tab delimited file even you have tabs in between the fields.

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

here is the thing

you have two different words, <i>Delimited</i> and <i>Separated</i>

now if u go with the dictionary meaning then <i>Delimited</i> means in the end which means Pipe should be in the end,and going with the dictionary meaning of <i>Separated</i> means it should be in between .but since we are not English authors i guess u can consider Raj's reply as more authentic.

Its all Business jargo so don't worry too much about it,you have to handle these files in FCC so if u have Pipe in between the entries then give .fieldSeparator as Pipe(|) and if u have Pipe(|) only in the end give .endSeparator as Pipe(|).

Thanx

Aamir

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kumar,

In addition to Aamir's reply. Its not manadatory that Pipe symbol has to be in end, it can be like following

Pipe delimited

ABC|123|TEST

CDE|345|TEST

CSV

ABC,123,TEST

CDE,345,TEST

Tab Delimited

ABC [<b>TAB SPACE</b>] 123 <b>[TAB SPACE]</b> TEST

CDE [<b>TAB SPACE</b>] 345 [<b>TAB SPACE</b>] TEST

raj.