cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system copy problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I want do system copy on sap 4.6 with oracle10g. the target server's enviroment is all the same against the source server including hardware and software. I have installed sap ci and di and oracle database on the target server, what I want to know is that ,can I do system copy by restoring database from the backup image made from source database to the target server?

the step needed is just restore it ,and then the target server will be all the same with the source server?(the source is online for production for a long time)

thanks very much!!

Message was edited by:

zhang dong

Message was edited by:

zhang dong

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your posting, friends!

but I doubt that , shouldn't I copy the /user/sap/* to the target server and overwrite the same directory? because I found that this directory on target server is about 1GB in size, but the same directory on the source server is only 90MB in size, if I just restore oracle database file to the target server , so could the target server take place of the source server to continually do transactions?

thanks!!

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

/usr/sap contains loads of log files. so, the directory size of both instance is different and that's expected.

the target server can take place of the source system, but your should keep the same hostname. if not, you will need to create a procedure to change things in your system that refers to your new hostname... and adapt everybody's saplogon.ini... unless you use an alias in the DNS and point to the new server.

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you Eric!!

If the backup server's hostname is different with the original server, what files should I edit? Could you please give a list of these files? I know little about sap,and I don't have authority to access the stuff on sap's site,thanks!

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

to get a good idea, go download the homogeneous system copy guide from http://service.sap.com/INSTGUIDES

it contains information on SID change (which you do not need) but also for hostname change.

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh, the dialog instance host connect to the central instance host only through the hostname,right? if so , i can edit the host file on the dialog instance host , this can redirect the hostname of original central instance host to the new ip address of the current central instance host, can i do like this ?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, good idea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

plz help me some,thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK,thanks

another question, the sap dialog instance is installed on another machine,if the primary database(also the sap central instance and database instance's host) is down someday, the backup server takeover it, the sap dialog instance should do some modifications, because the dialog instance must connect to the central instance to work,is it right? can the dialog instance's config be modified to connect to the new ip address of the new central instance(the backup server)??

Message was edited by:

zhang dong

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you will need to adapt SAP default/instance profiles accordingly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

"to start SAP on the DR server, you must do these steps manually. "

what extra steps should I do? data guard is not enough?

the sap has already been installed on the backup server,except that it hadn't been online for production, the primary server's sap has been online for some years.

the sid and other cfg is the same i think

Message was edited by:

zhang dong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zhang:

For that you need to start SAP Application. Foer instance if your DR server is on Windows then you can start SAP my using MMC.

If its a unix server then you can use startsap after logging in as <SID>adm where SID is the system id of SAP application for example DEV or BWD etc..

-Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry ,I gernerate another question

if I use data guard to do the DR on oracle database, the primary server transport the redo log to the backup server, on the backup server , the database replay the log and stay synchronization with the primary server. when the primary server is dwon, then the sap can start on the backup server and take place of the primary server ,is it doable?

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, this is doable. this is what data guard does, at least on Oracle's side. to start SAP on the DR server, you must do these steps manually.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks!!

I don't have the authentication to access the sap site, I am planning a oracle's disaster recover project ,but the server is not only oracle server but also sap server, and I have no ideas on sap,so I find here, I am lucky!

after all , thank you,Eric!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks very much!

and I still have another question,when I do the database restore , can I use the RMAN instead of sap's own tools?

I think the so called "system copy",is just the restoration or import of the third party database to the other machine , what's more?

thanks for all!

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you can use RMAN instead. no problem.

in a system copy, the biggest part is copying the database on the new machine. but many post-copy steps must be done if you change SID or hostname. the guide I provided you explains the process.

you might also get the latest homogeneous system copy guide from SAP at http://service.sap.com/instguides .

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

zhang,

a good procedure exists on the web, check this guide:

http://www.basisconsultant.com/docs/handbooks/homcopyv1.pdf

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zhang:

Check for the homogenous system copy procedures under:

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/instguides -> SAP Cpmponents - SAP R3 -> 46C

OR

A short overview of what you could do:

-

1. for hot backups ##################

1. install software on target maching,do not create db.

2. create directory structure same as your source db.

3. copy tnsname.ora , listner.ora files ,sqlnet.ora.

4. create service for instance and listner.

5. startup the db in nomount state with pfile option.

6. restore database.

7. recover database or alter database open resetlogs.

1. for cold backups ###############

1. install oracle software on target machine.

2. create same dir structure as of your source db.

3. create services for instance and listner

4. copy the dbfiles and redologfile to the dir same as source.

5. copy the networking file to appropriate directory.

6. startup mountpfile = 'location of pfile'

7. alter database open or alter database open resetlogs.

-

That should make your job easier.

-Madhu

madhukara_shenoy
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can use the offline backup or online backup (in this case you need to apply the redologs generated afterwards) to get the system to the same level.

You will get some useful tips in the SAP note 96848.

Regards,

Madhukar