cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI landscape and Components on each system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am starting to set up a NWDI environment for custom developments and also for changes to ESS/MSS packages. Our scenario is like we have 5 developers, each one will be working of a different component which will not overlap with each other.

Based on the "NWDI scenarios" document, i am going ahead with "Shared Remore system" where in i will have a local test system and a NWDI Dev system

I have read a lot of docs on NWDI(help, SDN, service, ESS note for NWDI) but need some clarifications

I am confused abt few points

We will be having Dev, Qa and PRD for EP and a local j2ee engine for testing.

<b>Questions</b>

1) I wanted to know whether if i install NWDI(DTR,CMS etc) in EP dev, i need to install NWDI (DTR,CMS etc) in QA nd PRD too ? Or will they be referenced when i set up transport system in DEV DTR ?

2) if i develop web dynpro applications in NWDS, then test on local j2ee engine, how do i import this DC to the NWDI track in DEV ? is NWDI DEV and DEV system same which is given in the "NWDI scenarios document for section 5.2 or 5.6". Which is the best scenario for our case?

3) For ESS changes for do i get the DC back on to my NWDS if i have to change them ?

Lastly, once we have developed the components and deployed in PROD, if some maintainence comes up along with new development for the track , do we need a seperate system for maintainence ?

Apprecaite if anyone can put in plain text the steps in each case.

Regards

PN

Message was edited by:

Portal Newbie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the following remarks to Suresh's answer:

1) You should NOT install NWDI on an existing runtime system, because of the following reason: Some deployments that NWDI performs on these runtime systems may trigger a server restart. So, you only need <b>one separate</b> server for NWDI.

2) If you do not tick the "Disable automatic deployment" checkbox of the development runtime system definition in the track configuration, DCs will be deployed automatically to the development runtime system when you <b>activate</b> an activity for this DC, not when you perform the check-in (which is done before activating the activity).

3) Once your NWDI is complete and correct, you can browse the ESS SC in the Development Configurations perspective. When you want to modify a DC, browse to it in the Inactive DCs view, right-click it and select "Create Project..." from the context menu.

Concerning maintenance it's best to set up a maintenance track as described in the following weblog: /people/marion.schlotte/blog/2006/03/30/best-practices-for-nwdi-track-design-for-ongoing-development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions

So i have to do the following

1) Have a seperate NWDI server(server NWDI) along with DEV EP(server DEV) , QA EP(server QA) and PRD EP(server PRD). Do i need a seperate DTR(server DTR) or will that be installed in NWDI server(server NWDI) ? Can you tell me whether DTR to be installed on NWDI server(server NWDI) itself or EP DEV, EP QA and EP PRD server also?

2) By runtime sytem , do u mean existing EP servers ?

3) For maitainance track and Dev track do we need seperate servers or the NWDI server itself should be able to handle it.

Regards

PN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Your system are correct. The DTR is part of NWDI, so that will be only on the NWDI server.

2) Yes

3) NWDI can handle multiple tracks. The only thing you need to think about is how and where you will test your bugfixes.

Kind regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Pascal,

Apprecaite your help

Regards

PN

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Answer 1: If you install NWDI in Dev system no need to install in QA and PROD. You can have seperate server for DTR purpose.

Answer 2: When you develop webdynpro application in NWDI track you can right click and deploy to the local j2ee engine. Configure the JDI setup like when you checkin the activity of DC from NWDI track application should be deployed to the dev server. Migrating local project to JDI you can find step by step procedure in sap help.

Answer 3: When you import the project NWDS you will get the complete project structure..

For Bug fix and change request we have to have two track 1. DEV track 2. MAINT track.

Change request in Dev track, and Bug fix in MAINT track..

Hope I answered all your questions.

Regards, Suresh KB