cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am about to work on a project that will require connections to the following OPC server types:

- OPC-DA

- OPC-HDA

- OPC-AE

I have the following questions about this.

1) I read in another forum post that the xMII OPC UDS (version 2.5.x) will allow me to connect a OPC-DA 2.05A server. I am told that the server we are connecting to is OPC-DA 2.0.

Will the xMII OPC UDS work with this version? If not, what would I have to do to connect to this server (develop a new connector?)

2) What OPC-HDA specification versions are supported by the xMII OPC-HDA UDS?

3) Is there an xMII OPC-AE connector?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allison

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found out some more information about the three OPC servers I want to connect to.

Server #1 is compatible with:

- OPC-DA v2.01

Server #2 is compatible with:

- OPC-DA v2.01 and v1.0

- OPC-HDA v1.0

Server #3 is compatible with:

- OPC-DA v2.0

Thanks again,

Allison

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently there are two OPC specifications that xMII can connect to,

OPC HDA 1.20

OPC DA 2.05A

I've also looked into what changed between the versions and the OPC DA UDS <i>should</i> work, OPC HDA UDS looks like it could work to but I'm a little more skeptical on this one. That said there is only one way to really know.... Try it out.

OPC A+E is currently not supported.

Martin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

Thanks for your response.

I am not yet able to check if each UDS works quite yet; I am gathering information before a project begins.

If the OPC DA or HDA UDS does not work, what would I need to do to connect to those systems? Would I have to create a custom connector?

Allison

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, I have a higher confidence in the UDSs working then you needing to create/find another solution.

Check with some of the big vendors (KEPware, Matrikon, Siemens ... ) in OPC to see if they have a tunnel/bridge mechanism for OPC x.x to OPC 2.05A and so forth.

Though creating a custom connector is possible, I think this is the very last thing you want to do because that would involve the SAP xMII development team and this could take both time and resources that SAP may not part with easily.

Out of curiosity, what are the servers you're connecting to?

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin : If you wrote to 2.05A, it should likely work fine with 2.0 and 2.01 OPC servers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alison:

Make certain that you ask SAP to provide you the 4.0 version(s) of the OPC connectors, which are considerably more robust, performant, and feature rich than the 2.5 version(s). Ask Martin why or how.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

I agree that our 2.05A reads <b><i>should</i></b> work. But if not then at least Allison has some options.

And it looks like you're a fan of the 4.0 UDSs... Thanks! We aim to please.

Martin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

I will need to connect to the following servers.

Siemens Insight:

- OPC-DA v2.01

- OPC-A&E v1.0

Rapid Pharma:

- OPC-DA v2.01 and v1.0

- OPC-A&E v1.0

- OPC-HDA v1.0

Nematron Paragon:

- OPC-DA v2.0

Rick,

Thanks for the tip about the 4.0 versions of the connectors.

How would I go about getting these?

Regards,

Allison

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, you're well connected.

So I'll say this here....

Currently the schedule for the 4.0 UDSs is not defined. We <i>hope</i> that it will happen soon though. I'll post on the forum when the date for release is expected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.

It is my current understanding that SAP xMII

UDS v2.x supports the OPC standard communication protocol, while this is open and implemented differently by different vendors, the v2.x framework will operate properly.

Best regards,

Allison

Message was edited by:

Allison Smedley