cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are points calculated correctly?

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It seems that either the point calculation is off (for some users?) or the point information is not displayed correctly in 'Your Reward Points'. For example, in one user's profile (the name can be disclosed, if requested by a moderator) I see the following information:

Date range: 08/18/2007 - 9/17/2007

Points of date range: 872

But in the details only the following points are displayed:

Forum points - 104 in total (only one page)

Additional points - 20.

Nothing in the Blog, Article or Code contributions.

This is only 124 points. So where are the other 872 - 124 = 748 points are coming from? Is the point system rigged or is some information about how the points have been earned hidden?

Just wondering...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

for performance reasons, we only display 20 points items per category (see also description on the page: Maximum number of point items per category:20). This page is one of the most prominent on SDN, and the items used to pile up in our servers' memory, so we had to limit the display.

But you will see all your points when you limit the date range accordingly. OK, this is not true if you have more than 20 points assignments per day and category

Regards,

Michael Goeck

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

Thanks for clarifying this. I did see the note "Maximum number of point items per category" but, honestly, did not quite understand what it meant. Maybe it should read "Maximum number of <b>displayed</b> items per category" instead? Or maybe there should be an additional link to 'More details' or something, so that the users could see additional entries on request?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

Most likely, the person in question has a lot of reference points with the flag checked in the profile not to disclosure her/his rewards.

I HATE THE REFERENCE SYSTEM because it allows to get cheap points with a minor cheating. Several hundreds (I rememeber SEVEN THOUSAND!) points just in one click!

THE REFERENCE SYSTEM MUST BE KILLED!

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree that reference system seems to add little value to the forums. Actually I didn't even know that such system existed and was quite surprised to find out that 20 points are awarded for a referral vs. max. 10 points for a reply that solved someone's problem. To me the latest is much more valuable. Also in this way it seems that people who know (and share!) more are rewarded less than people who just know more other people. Well, life is unfair in general...

The user in question really had a lot of forum points though, it's just I couldn't see them because there were more than 20 entries.

Thanks for all the replies!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Remember it's NOT just forums here.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Craig is right....Not only forums but...

<b>

• Forums

• Blogs

• Surveys

• Code Submition

• Whitepapers

• Members Referal

• Mentor points

</b>

There are many ways to gather points on SDN...Just contribution and Community spirit is needed -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

interesting.

• Members Referal

• Mentor points

How are those points given? Are mentor points given for [REMOVED by THE INNOCENT]?

Regards,

Clemens

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How are those points given? Are mentor points given

> for [REMOVED by THE INNOCENT]?

Mentor points are given by SDN Mentors...They are giving for good Community Spirit...Do good contributions in the forums, junior blogs, blogs, etc...And If an SDN Mentor gets aware of you...Your going to get points -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Blag.

> Mentor points are given by SDN Mentors...

Now how do I get the list of mentors??I can really try to gather some mentor points(Am I becoming a point hunter now?)

Aneesh.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the WIKI <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Community/SAP+Mentors">SAP Mentors</a>

But don't loose your time asking Mentors for points -:) We are watching the SDN looking for good community spirit...If you start doing nice things...Maybe you're going to get some points, so keep on working hard -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>If you start doing nice

> things...Maybe you're going to get some points, so

> keep on working hard -;)

>

> Greetings,

>

> Blag.

So what should I do(nice things). Should I start buying ice-creams for all the mentors??

Aneesh.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So what should I do(nice things). Should I start

> buying ice-creams for all the mentors??

I don't like Ice-creams too much...so no thanks -:)

What I mean with "nice things", it's write some interesting Junior Blogs or Blogs, participate actively in the forums, submit interesting suggestions or comments...and everything does needs to be done on SDN -;)

Of course....we can't be everywhere...If you have done "nice things", sooner or later your going to get points... -;)

Greetings,

Blag.