cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: Could not read any NLS message catalogue!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently performing a Netweaver 7 BI installation.

Got to the point where I've installed Oracle 10.2.0.1, and I'm now attempting to patch it to 10.2.0.2.

When I perform ./runInstaller, I get the message 'ERROR: Could not read any NLS message catalogue!'

Can't find anything notewise within SAP support portal, and googling provides very little also.

Anyone help, thanks in advance?

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

Oracle Universal Installer needs some files in the directory where the runInstaller (UNIX) or setup.exe (Windows) is running. So, when you invoke runInstaller (UNIX) or setup.exe (Windows), you should invoke it from the directory where this command is present, or you must specify the complete path.

Regards

Andreas

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Having spoken to the UNIX guy, he couldn't find any issues.

So I've moved the patch set to another directory (/oracle/SID) and managed to run it from there instead.

I still suspect that it is a mount/permission related issue on this particular volume, as suspected by Markus too - but at least I've managed to perform the upgrade.

Thanks for your inputs.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I've changed the permissions to 775 and changed the ownership of /sapcd (volume name) to orasid:dba (including all files within the staging area /sapcd/ora-patch).

So the permissions and ownership seems to be fine.

I've also ran your suggested commands but the issue still exists.

I'm now liasing with our UNIX guy to check if there is any underlying permission issues on the volume (sapcd) that may be causing this problem.

In the mean time, let me know if you have any further thoughts.

Thanks,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

The directory is local and is 25G to accomodate installation DVD's and patch sets, etc.

pwd is fine.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

What about the permissions of the directory you are in, can you please make sure that is is owned bu orasid:dba and has 755 permissions and try again?

Maybe run this command to ensure that all directories/files in your staging area have the correct ownership

As user root, from the /oracle/stage say (depending where you keep your upgrade files)

find . | xargs chown orasid:dba

Then

find . | xargs chmod 755

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies, I was in the correct directory when initially running the runInstaller.

I noticed that the file ownerships were 'root', so I changed them to orasid (group dba) and opened the permissions to rwx for all.

I'm now getting:

./runInstaller

Error in GetCurrentDir(): 13

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

But then it returns to the prompt without starting. I have exported the correct display for my terminal.

Any ideas, thanks?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this an NFS mounted directory?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, can you execute pwd ok?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you running the runInstaller command as ora<sid> user?

--

Markus