cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installations based on NW7.0 (NW2004s) on MSCS cluster - where's the docs?

0 Kudos

Hello!

With NW2004s SAP made some changes on how SAP components should be installed in a MSCS Cluster.

The installation documents (and SAPinst) provides you with a cluster installation that is not complete (single system on single MSCS).

One of the problems is the saploc share (for example see SAPNet note 967123 - 16/JUL/07    5      MSCS: Central and Dialog installation: Installation drive must point to local drive). The solution if you have problems with saploc is not just to delete/recreate saploc on a local share, but to create a customer message - STRANGE!

Before July 16th SAP provided no saploc info at all.

I also noticed that a SAP document "MSCS Configuration and Support Information for SAP Netweaver´04 and SAP Netweaver 7.0 Systems" (see url below) was published here in SDN, but I cannot find the document in SAPNet (preferably in the instguides section).

[CONTENT DELETED]

I wonder if anyone can share some information on the current status of MSCS installation at SAP. Is the installation an issue there or not?

Also if anyone know of some documentation that describes a correct installation procedure (maybe some document not released to customers yet).

And finally (a little O.T.) the reasons behind SAP's choise to evolve the old way to install systems in a MSCS. Has it anything to do with future development or was it simply a way to minimize SPOF's?

Best Regards,

Lasse

Removed broken link, Message was edited by: Jason Lax

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lasse,

Couldn't agree more in the questions.

In order to make the MSCS installation work, it's is an endless "moving-the-SAP-cluster-group-back-and-forth".

Then, when the installation is finished, you can ruin it by simply moving the SAP cluster-group 2 times, since this will for sure remove any local SAPLOC share (on the node which does not run the SAP cluster group).

But the pitfall is the following:

Still, people can logon to the system, but the real surprise comes with an restart of an node (restart windows). After the restart it simply doesn't work anymore.

First of all:

SAPinst should NOT add the SAPLOC in the SAP cluster group.

We are now on SR2 and this is not fixed yet.

Second:

I have managed to get the instance to work again by removing SAPLOC from the SAP cluster group and then adding the SAPLOC share on each node.

Now it is possible to restart windows and start the application server afterwards.

Third:

Yes, I know. SAP does not approve to this behaviour. Still, its does work.......