difference between application server and webapplication server

Former Member
0 Kudos

please send the reply. thanks.(asap)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

An application server is a software engine that delivers applications to client computers or devices. Moreover, an application server handles most, if not all, of the business logic and data access of the application (a.k.a. centralization). The main benefit of an application server is the ease of application development, since applications need not be programmed; instead, they are assembled from building blocks provided by the application server. For example, SAP J2EE Application Server (Netweaver which contains both JAVA & ABAP runtimes).

Although the term application server applies to all platforms, it has become heavily identified with the Sun Microsystems J2EE platform; however, it has also come to encompass servers of Web-based applications, such as integrated platforms for e-commerce, content management systems, and Web-site builders.

J2EE Servers

Following the success of the Java platform, the term application server sometimes refers to a Java Platform--Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application server. Among the better known commercial J2EE application servers are WebLogic Server (BEA), JBoss (Red Hat), WebSphere (IBM), JRun (Adobe), Geronimo Application Server (Apache Foundation), and Oracle OC4J (Oracle Corporation).

The JOnAS application server, developed by the ObjectWeb consortium, is the first non-commercial, open source application server to have achieved official certification of compliance with J2EE. The Web modules are servlets and JavaServer Pages, and business logic is built into Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB). J2EE provides standards for containing the Web components. Tomcat from Apache and JOnAS from ObjectWeb are typical of containers into which to put these modules. Both organizations provide the code freely and openly (open source).

A Java Server Page (JSP) is a servlet from Java that executes in a Web container—the Java equivalent of CGI scripts. JSPs are a way to create HTML pages by embedding references to the server logic within the page. HTML coders and Java programmers can work side by side by referencing each other's code from within their own. JavaBeans are the independent class components of the Java 2 architecture from Sun Microsystems.

The application servers mentioned above mainly serve Web applications. Some application servers target networks other than the Web: SIP servers, for instance, target telephony networks.

The term web server can mean one of two things:

1. A computer program that is responsible for accepting HTTP requests from clients, which are known as web browsers, and serving them HTTP responses along with optional data contents, which usually are web pages such as HTML documents and linked objects (images, etc.).

2. A computer that runs a computer program which provides the functionality described in the first sense of the term.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tejaswee,

No need to copy/pasty wikipedia, certainly not when you don't mention the source.

Eddy

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

please i am confused what is difference between sap WAS and sap AS

Message was edited by:

chandu madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank u

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In term of SAP vocabulary, web application server (WAS) is a marketing buzz word which is already deprecated as it is now called Netweaver application server.

It was called Basis just a few years ago...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK brother,

Thanks buddy for your suggestion I did not think of it, and lets stop this reply's because I am in office & I don't have time.

Cheers

Tej,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry I should have mentioned it, its Wikipedia i did not want to type it bro,

Cheere

Tej

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nigel or Tej or whoever,

A simple link would have worked too.

Eddy

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you more specific on what you want to know?

R/3 vs NW? Or something else?

Edd

Former Member
0 Kudos

i want it in general way.plz reply me with whatever u know.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have a look at threads like

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=5281683&messageID=2857291

Eddy

-

PS. Reward useful answers and earn points yourself