cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles Problem during cluster failover

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We wanted to do a cluster failover on our Production system.

Its an ECC 5.0 system with Oracle 10G on AIX

The scenario is

During the cluster failover we need to unmount all the file systems from our production and mount it on the Integration server and make the Production up.The integration system FS will be unmounted.

This scenario works good but we are having problem with the SAP profiles

The production system is on hostname1, and integration is on hostname2

In production it uses the profile SID_D*_hostname1 and when we do the cluster failover,it starts taking the profile of hostname2.

Though we have an alias name for the system and the profiles also with the alias names,we are unable to bring up the production on these profiles in either of the hosts.

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is solved.

When the cluster failover is happening,dbstartup failed as the bin directory path was set to old oralcle home 920_64.When this was set to 102_64 the SAP started with out any problem.

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bharathwaj,

Thanks for letting us know, it is good that you found out what was wrong. Sorry I never replied to your last questions, I haven't posted anything the last 3 weeks as I became a father of a little baby girl on the 21st of September ! She does keep me busy!

All the best

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

congrats Andreas .. hope baby and mother is doing good

THanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

First Congrats on u becoming a father..

Ya we were able to solve it.Thanx for your patient replies man..

Have a nice time as a father..

Ba bye

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Just to say another "**congratulations" on your new baby. It was a nice ending to the thread!!

Best Regards

Azhar Chaudhary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would follow a phased approach on this

First try to see if you can bring up the production database only. Make sure that the listener is started first. Check the orasid user environment variables and see if they are set to what you would expect them to be

After that, try to start the database from orasid with sqlplus "/ as sysdba" and startup

Secondly, make sure that the sidadm environment is right in the new server. If you sent here what are the exact file names you are using and what are the aliases you have defined, it would help us

Good luck

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

OMP-production on hostname IPCBY004

OMI- Integration on hostname IPCBY104

The alias name is OMDDB.

Now the production is up on ipcby004 with the profiles START_DVEBMGS00_ipcby004

OMP_DVEBMGS00_ipcby004

but we want the system to take the profiles

START_DVEBMGS00_ompdb

OMP_DVEBMGS00_ompdb

We tried changing the .dbenv and .sapenv to ompdb and we tried by replaing the the START_DVEBMGS00_ipcby004 with START_DVEBMGS00_ompdb and changed all the entries to point to ompdb in the start profile instead of ipcby004.

When we do all this and start SAP, we get the message DB startup failed,unable to connect to SQLPLUS.

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bharathwaj ,

All the changes you have done look ok to me, but they refer to the SAP system. To check what happens with the database, login as orasid in the OMDDB hardware and see if the environment variables are correctly set there. Also make sure that files

.dbenv_omddb.csh and .sapenv_omddb.csh exist under orasid and the hostname they contain is indeed the omddb

If you still get error messages, maybe you could send me the errors in the Oracle alert log? Just do sqlplus "/ as sysdba" from orasid, startup and then send me what is in the alert log

Good luck

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Because we failed once with the cluster failover thing we tried to bring up OMP on the same host(IPCBY004) with the profiles OMPDB but here also we had the same problem.

The startup of the DB failed and <b>we started DB manually through SQLPLUS and SAP was up but again it took only the profiles of IPCBY004 and not of OMPDB</b>

As we tried it out on the same system we dont have any changes in the ENV and we also made sure that the .dbenv_ompdb.csh and .sapenv_ompdb.csh and all existed.

As the system was up we tried a checkdb and the following is the log

Job started

Step 001 started (program RSDBAJOB, variant &0000000000047, user ID QX64145)

Execute logical command BRCONNECT On host ompdb

Parameters: -u / -c -f check

BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (24)

BR0278E Command output of 'sqlplus':

sh: sqlplus: not found.

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2007-09-09 01.16.28

BR0279E Return code from 'sqlplus': 127

BR0302E SQLPLUS call for database instance OMP failed

BR0303E Determination of Oracle version failed

BR0301E SQL error -12545 at location db_connect-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT /'

ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

BR0310E Connect to database instance OMP failed

BR0806I End of BRCONNECT processing: cdwcoekh.log2007-09-09 01.16.28

BR0804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors

External program terminated with exit code 3

BRCONNECT returned error status E

Job finished

As its our production system we need to try out our other options only this coming weekend ater a successful offline backup.

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The "real" error here is that

BR0278E Command output of 'sqlplus':

sh: sqlplus: not found.

Could you go manually in your orasid session and see if you can run sqlplus? Is the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory present in your system? Is the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory included in the $PATH variable ?? You can see this by using the env command, check this please in both csh and sh environments

I hope this helps

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

As i had told u once we tried with the cluster failover,we did not try that again and we tried to change the profiles to OMPDB in the same host.

The sqlplus was available at $ORACLE_HOME/bin and the ENV also had it.

There is no change in ENV as we tried it in the <b>same hostname </b> and the .csh and .sh profiles were also the same as

.sapenv_ipcby004.csh were copied to .sapenv_ompdb.csh

.sapenv_ipcby004.sh were copied to .sapenv_ompdb.sh

dbenv_ipcby004.csh were copied to dbenv_ompdb.csh

dbenv_ipcby004.sh were copied to dbenv_ompdb.sh

These were done for both oraomp and ompadm.

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

In OMPDB, when you su - oraomp and then execute

sh

and the

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

do you get the sqlplus prompt, or you get

sqlplus not found ?

What is the value of the PATH variable under oraomp, when you execure sh?

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, in the startsap script, located in the home directory of sidadm, make sure that the correct START profile is defined: This is where SAP decides which START profile to use

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

1)Under Normal circumstances,

where we use .dbenv,.sapenv of IPCBY004 and the profiles of IPCBY004,the system comes up fine without any problem in startsap itself.

2)When we change the .dbenv and .sapenv to ompdb and the profiles also to ompdb,that time the startsap failes to dtart the DB saying sqlplus is not available as its not able to find the sqlplus.exe.

But When we switch to oraomp and login into sqlplus,we are able to login and we are able start the DB.

Here we have neither changed the ENV of the ompadm,oraomp nor the path.

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I am using the standard startsap available at /sapmnt/OMP/exe.

There it calls the startsap always with a $hostname in the whole of the script.

ex:PROFILES=`echo /usr/sap/$SAPSYSTEMNAME/SYS/profile/START_SCS*_"$HOSTNAME"`

At OS level we always have the output of hostname as ipcby004

I am planning to give the following lines in a new startsap script and try it this weekend

START_PROFILE="START_DVEBMGS00_ompdb"

DB_SID=OMP

and change all the entried in the START_DVEBMGS00_ompdb to point to ompdb

Execute_00 = local $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)/sapmscsa -n pf=$(DIR_PROFILE)/OMP_DVEBMGS00_ompdb

What do u suggest on this.

Do i need to change anything else also????

By the way thanx a lot for being so patient and replying to all questions

Regards

Bharathwaj V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I have changed the Startsap Script this weekend and i have made the system to take the correct profile ompdb.

But i have a small doubt.I have neither changed the dbenv nor the sapenv to ompdb all are on ipcby004.

Now when i do a cluster failover onto the ipcby104 system will the system come up with the correct profile?

Regards

Bharathwaj V