cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts in Installing SAP in AIX Machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to install SAP in a AIX Machine in Client environment.

I understand that AIX is unix Flavour.

Pls clarify the following doubts

If i am in front of the machine will i get a GUI environment or unix environment only.

If i get a GUI environment , can i just copy the installables from DVD to a File Structure and start the installation as i do in windows

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

You can get the GUI environment by assigning the proper variables and ur 'X' session is set correctly. You can set it with the following variables.

export DISPLAY=<IP-address>:0.0

After the variable is set correctly you can get the GUI. So just copy the DVD's onto the AIX system and go ahead.

Regards,

Phani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know this.

I know the steps to get SAPGUI in my Laptop.

But i wanted to know whether i can see the GUI Environment like My computer, file etc if i stand in front of the machine.

As per my understanding the step mentioned below is used to see only SAPGUI .

Pls confirm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

U mean in UNIX, Or AIX...........?

If X system is installed in your system you can see the GUI same as windows.

For testing run the command

xclock

in your AIX system. If you get any output then X system is installed.

Or else install it first and then run the installation.

Regards,

Phani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

let me explain you what you need. may be some are already familiar to you.but i just want to go in a flow, first as you know the AIX Unix does not have GUI on its own, it have only CUI( character user interface ),and there is no desktop like you see in Windows or Linux, you will login to your home directory similar to your my docs in Windows, from there based on your permissions you can see all files, the super access (root access) is given by Sudo in the AIX system, using this you can have admin access in the Unix system( you just need to login as sudo after you login as your own user id.

Coming to the point on GUI,you can use some third party tools to have a GUI view on Unix systems,usually you can see a view of files and directory structure on it and some tools also give you more interactive options like drag & drop similar to windows and Linux,however if your purpose is to only install SAP, you can use two ways

1) You can use the SAPinst Client in your system( which will be part of most installation DVDs)

2) using X windows( from third party) you can have a gui view for SAP installation similar to windows.

Frist option is that your SAPINST Client talk to the SAPINST service in the unix system and it will guide your installtion

second option is using X windows where your X windows( from your PC) will be serving as server and from Unix it will communicate your your PC ip address and you have the gui screen from your PC, which actaully runs everything on Unix, you can see the image with all option which send and receives commands and results from your PC to Unix server.

again, even if you are stiing right in front of AIX server, it does not have a GUI on its own as a standard.

after working with unix so many years i feel Unix is very easy to operate and maintain than Windows servers in many ways

please let me know if you need any more details.

please remember to give points

thanks

Sarath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using Xwindows, i can have display of only SAPINST or the complete AIX Machine. Like whether i will be able to see the folders etc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Balaji,

X windows is a tool which makes GUI possible,based on application you can see what ever information is relevent. for example if you deploy a FTP application, you can see all files and directories, if you are using x windows for SAP install, it will show screens related to SAPINST and steps, if you are install DBG2 or Oracle, it will show all the screens for Oracle install. but techinically it is possible to see all information on Unix thru X windows.

Answers (0)