cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in using BI 7.0 and BW 3x in SCM 5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SCM 5.0 comes with BI 7.0 (SP9). I heard the BI system is unstable until SP 14. The question is does it make any difference using BI 7.0 and using BW3x, which is also option BI 7.0 gives with the transaction RSA1OLD.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

any replies please?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, you are right, BI 7.0 is unstable in SCM 5.0.

We are using BI7.0 SP12 and SCM SP9. It gives bit stability now.

Looking at the path ahead BI7.0 transaction using is better than RSA1old.

If you are upgrading the system then you can use <b>RSA1OLD</b> transaction to check old functionality is working fine or not.

If you are doing fresh implementation project then use <b>RSA1</b> to map your business process

Loading data from file (.csv) has been changed. If you load the data from infppack it store into the PSA to load it from PSA to Cube you require Data transfer process.

You can not shedule Data transfer process in the background, To schedule it you require to map process chain.

You can load the full update data with out Infopack, directly with the help of Data transfer process you can load the data into the cube.

You can map the data flow process as below

Data source --> Infosource --> Data trasfer process --> infocube --> data transfer process for infocube.

Message was edited by:

Anjali Butley

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali,

Thanks for the reply. I see that 3.5 in RSA1OLD is working fine and the question for me is whether we can use the 3.5 system in the 7.0 and work out with the whole process? or do I some how use only 7.0 in the SCM 5.0 system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both the options are availbale.

As per our BW consultant's easy ness 3.5 is faster to implement.

BI 7.0 needs to explore, hence most of BW consultant go for easy root.

As per my opinion we should go for BI 7.0 new functionality availbale in SCM5.0.

We do not know for next version SAP removes 3.5X functionality and we will require to take up new project to convert all 3.5 objects into BI7.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

been on a couple of SCM 5.0 proj recently (upgraded ones) and invariably ended up using RSA1OLD

i remember spending a lot of time trying to figure out juust how to load the cube fom the PSA... have not heard any BW consultants promising better performance in this matter by using BI7

if your aim is to just load data and other uncomplicated stuff - go for SCM 3.5.

personally when it comes to DW workbench , i think , Its the End that matters... not the Means

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Visu,

If you are not upgrading from a SCM 4.0 or SCM 4.1 system (which contains a 3.x BW component), I would recommend using the BI 7.0 functionalities in the SCM 5.0 box. The datawarehousing components in 7.0 (e.g. Transformation rules) is easier to implement in terms of configuration time.