cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot read logs of SMD Agent on non-SAP machine

darcy_curtin
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have Solution Manager and SMD installed on machine "foo" and they seem to be working fine. Now I want to add an SMD Agent on another machine and see it in my Solution Manager (foo:50100/smd).

So I run the sapinst for SMDAGENT on machine "bar" (that is strictly a third-party app, no SAP stuff on it at all) and create the cca_files and cca_systemlandscape and run the smdsetup. This completes fine and when I start the smdagent I can see my new solution in SMD and I can successfully start the "Data Collect" and "Scheduler Configuration" tasks in the SMD Application Configuration.

So far so good.

When I go to Root Cause Analysis->Logs and Dumps->Java->Log Viewer, I see a green info message "One active connection on host name: bar.company.com, port: 26000" but when I tell it to load the log and trace files, it thinks for a looooong time and then I get a yellow warning message "Connection refused; check whether the server is running" and no log files.

What server? How would I check it? I'm guessing that something more needs to be happening on machine "bar" but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Darcy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I understand the concept, the system is trying to connect to the P4 port of the J2EE engine (depending on how it's configured) to get the paths for the logfiles (default.trc etc.)

Since you don't run a SAP J2EE engine, the system is unable to connect and thus giving you that error (server not running).

--

Markus

darcy_curtin
Explorer
0 Kudos

That's an interesting ideaI thought that connection was the other way aroundthat the SMD Agent machine is connecting to the Solution Manager machine via its P4 port?

Where would I tell the Solution Manager machine what P4/user/pass etc. to use to connect back? When I ran the sapinst on the agent machine, I provided all the information to connect to the solution manager machine. Do you think that was backwards?

darcy_curtin
Explorer
0 Kudos

As a side note, I <b>can</b> read the configuration files from the agent machine in the SMD browser (Root Cause Analysis->Configuration->Configuration and File Reporting->Configuration Change Reporting). Why should it be able to connect to read those, but not read the log files?

FredericOzon
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

When using the SMD Agent installer, when you specify a connection type, this is the one, use to connect SMD Agent to SMD Server (Central Solution Manager).

The link in the SMD Navigation are based on the solution, you defined either in SMSY or cca* files.

So in your case, you should not see Java-> Logviewer except in you copy the defoinition of a Java Engine to create xml for your solution type.

The application Configuration/File Change Reporting will always be working as it is based on the description of the xml only and do not use any "embedded" product as logviewer. I think you have lots of error if you look the scheduler task of reporting.

Regards

darcy_curtin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frederic,

> When using the SMD Agent installer, when you specify

> a connection type, this is the one, use to connect

> SMD Agent to SMD Server (Central Solution Manager).

So I have this part right. Thank you for verifying that.

> The link in the SMD Navigation are based on the

> solution, you defined either in SMSY or cca* files.

> So in your case, you should not see Java-> Logviewer

> except in you copy the defoinition of a Java Engine

> to create xml for your solution type.

In <i>gather setup</i> I have the following structure:

- Host

-- Solution

--- LogicalComponent

-

SystemRole

-

ProductVersion

-

System

-

MainInstance

-

InstallationPath

-

ComponentVersion

-

ConfigStores

-

LogStores

As far as I can tell, I have not explicitly denied or included an application called "logviewer", but I would think that by including the LogStores node and setting the path and file pattern there, I should be able to see those files.

As I mentioned before, I can see the files that I have specified under the ConfigStores node.

There is no SAP stuff on this machine except for SMD, but that is a Java application, so I have j2sdk and j2ee installed. I can run all the SMD commands (gather, smdsetup, smdagent) successfully.

> The application Configuration/File Change Reporting

> will always be working as it is based on the

> description of the xml only and do not use any

> "embedded" product as logviewer. I think you have

> lots of error if you look the scheduler task of

> reporting.

The only errors I have seen here were when the smdagent was not running. When the smdagent is running, the E2E Log Analysis task (that is the closest one I can find to "reporting") says it completes successfully. (I am looking in Diagnostics Administration->Managed Systems->Scheduler->Task List.)

Thanks in advance if you have any more ideas!