cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

steps for backup of a datafile using BRBACK commands

Former Member
0 Kudos

can anyone please tell me what are the steps in manner in which I can perform backup of a datafile from one drive to anothore drive using BRBACKUP commands.

thanks (in advance).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

After changing the relevant parameter inside init<SID>.sap run this cmd from the command prompt: -

brbackup -u / -c force -t online -m <fileID> -p init<SID>.sap

where fileID = is the ID of your respective Datafiles. You can get it from DB02.

Makesure u run this as ora<SID> user.

With regards,

Samarpan

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Samarpan,

One thing again I want to ask that when Iam going to change settings in init<sid> file do I have to mention using command that Iam going to take backup of a datafile Online and if so what command I have to write init<sid> file.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashish,

You dont have to mention any COMMAND in init<SID>.sap file.

BRTools read this file by default.

In the above mentioned brbackup cmd line, its already mentioned, that u r taking it Online.

Regards,

Samarpan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Change these Settings in "init<SID>.sap" file inside ur Oracle Dir.

Backup the old file and change these setting in the file:-

backup_mode = all

backup_dev_type = disk

backup_root_dir = ?? - ->(your location for Backup.)/(eg= c\sapbackup)if its UNIX,makesure u give full permission to this Dir.

Make sure u have enough space in that New Location.

Then run backup from DB13/Brtool.

With Regards,

Samarpan

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks samarpan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi samarpan,

One thing again I would like to know tht after changing all setting in INIT<SID>file in oracle dbf as described by you and after starting the BRTOOL can Iuse the following command to take BACKUP of the single datafile which I want to take for BACKUP:

brbackup -b d\sapdata3\data2.dbf

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You did not reply to my question... why backuping only 1 datafile? this backup will be worthless!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Samarpan I just want to know how to take backup using BRBACKUP thats why I want to test it using one datafile so that anything doesnot go wrong on the database.this is the reason why I mentioned only one datafile.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why do your you want to backup only 1 datafile? this does not make sense as this datafile means nothing when backed up alone.

unless you only want to move a datafile from one disk to another...

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

What do u want to do?

Is it Copying the existing Datafile from SAP Database to other place of ur choice?

Please make it clear.

With Regards,

Samarpan

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes.