cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SGEN & Patch Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

We update the patches for ECC5.0 on our SAND server, After up gradation is finished I run the SGEN with option "Generate all objects of selected software Components" & select only SAP_BASIS as a component. The SGEN took more than 8 hours to generate all the objects. Please note that none of the user is login to the server during this activity. Also, our system is responds slowly after updating the patches. Now after running the SGEN for SAP_BASIS it becomes comparatively fast.

Now we have plan to update the development, Quality & production server, but we can not offered such a huge time to upgrade. That is the reason I think to apply patches for SAP_BASIS & run SGEN after generation of objects then only I apply the next patch SAP_APPL & run SGEN & so on.

I want to know the proper suggestion for this because it is my think process, is it proper steps to apply a patch & generate the objects or should I apply the all the patches & then only I have to generate the objects for all components.

Regards,

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

It's a best practice to allocate downtime when patching the system, In the best case scenario you should be able to complete this task during the weekend and the users will not be affected (Specially for Production)

In my personal opionion is much better to do all the upgrades and then run SGEN only once.

Regards

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Thanks for reply,

run SGEN only once means for all components or select individual component to run the SGEN, because it is the only phase where system takes more time. Please suggest.

Regards,

Rajesh

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

You could select the components.. but to be honest if you go a general patch you're better off running SGEN for all components...

regards

Juan

Please reward with poinst if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan

Answers (0)