cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Restore and Recover

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have already read the documents from "Oracle Backup and Recovery" at this forum.

I have to demonstrate the restore and recover functionality of Oracle with BR*GUI-Tools and have the following questions:

- I have executed an online back up on the remote stage from DB13.

Now I will relocate and then delete the DATA FILE X and start the the Complete database recovery via BRGUI.

Can I apply this procedure without any troubles?

As next step I would like to demonstrate the point-in-time recovery.

Can I simply do trough the menu (perhaps modify earlier some DB-tables, in order to simulate some error), choose some time and show, that it is works?

Can the Online Backup from DB13 be also used in this case.

And last, but not least:

If I relocate/delete some Online or Offline redo log which restore/recover procedure can be used?

Thank you very much!

Thom

regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thom,

Two excellent SAP notes for you are:

491160 Restore scenarios for lost files of oracle databases

605062 FAQ: Restore and recovery

I hope this helps . Please come back if you need any clarification on the notes

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simplest way is to Restore database completely and then issue commad

Recover database;

It will automatically give reuired file , its upto you whether you want to give

online log or offline log.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Thank you very much for the helpful information.

If I simulate that one or more Data files are deleted, which back up do I need for this issue:

- whole online or full online backup

- whole offline or whole offline backup

Is that some difference (besides the executing user) between back up from DB13 and BRGUI?

Can I execute backup from DB13 and restore with BRGUI?

What is the prerequisite for the Point-in-time-recovery?

Which back up can be used (online, offline)?

Is there some dummy table that can be droped and recoverd with PIT-recovery?

Thank you very much!

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thom,

Wow, a lot of questions! I hope I get some points from you!!

"If I simulate that one or more Data files are deleted, which back up do I need for this issue:

- whole online or full online backup

- whole offline or whole offline backup"

A full online backup or a full offline backup should captute everything. The only difference is that the online is taken with the database up while the offline is taken with the database down. The offline is a bit less complex to restore if you are a beginner because recovery is not needed

"Is that some difference (besides the executing user) between back up from DB13 and BRGUI?"

No. The executing user is also always orasid. Because of the "set user id on execution bit", even if you call the backup from sidadm, it will run as orasid

"Can I execute backup from DB13 and restore with BRGUI?"

Yes

"What is the prerequisite for the Point-in-time-recovery?"

You must have all the archive logs that are needed available in the /oracle/SID/saparch directory

"Which back up can be used (online, offline)?"

An offline backup doesn't need recovery, so you will not need archive logs if you are restoring an offline backup

"Is there some dummy table that can be droped and recoverd with PIT-recovery?"

No, but create one of yours!

create table SAPR3.Thom ( name varchar(10), surname varchar(20) );

insert into Thom values ('Thom','Heinemann');

commit;

Here you have a table called Thom containing your name and surname!

I hope this helps

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Thank you very much!

Last question:

I have 2 system landscape (FID, FIP).

I have to demonstrate recovery for the productive system, because this system is only installed and does not have some modificationsin contrast to FID system.

<b>Which settings should be done before backup and restore in both systems.

I have heared the FIP-system should be locked for the transports?

When and how this should be done?</b>

Thank you very much!

Thom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thom,

If your backup process is working fine (ie you can take a successfull backup), I do not have any special settings in mind for SAP in preparation for a backup. Remember that brbackup is only backing up the Oracle database.

The SAP binaries, under /usr/sap and /sapmnt/SID should be backed up seperately

If the system is only just installed, restoring it and proving that you can connect to it is a good enough exercise for now I think. Later, when you are live in production, you can have disaster recovery exercises where not only the restore is taking place but your user base also connects and verifies that their functionality is working as it should

Regarding your second question about the transports, many organisations prefer to lock users when doing a mass amount of transports, introducing new functionality, sometimes called as a "release". You can do that from transaction su10. You can unlock them afterwards using the same transaction

For day to day transports, you shoudn't have to lock users unless there is a specific business reason. I am not aware of many business reasons to have a system locked while doing transports though!

I hope that clarifies

Good luck

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

Yes you can restore from the backup for the missing data file (you dont need to restore the hold backup but just individual file only)

And you also need all the archive file since you last backup until now for RECOVERY.

Offline archive file is need for the recovery step, whithout that you can't bring the data online for the restored file. So please make sure you have all the archive file since you online backup.

Regards,

Fendi Suyanto