cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM and Oracle Installation problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have installed the oracle 10 on our machine and also installed the MDM Server on the same local machine.

1) Now when we open the console manager we load the MDM server by typing the ip address of the local machine.

2) Then when we try to unarchive the repository it asks for the name of the database, the login and the password after giving the neccesary details it give sthe following error "ERROR INITIALIZING DATABASE ENGINE" "CANNOT GET REPOSITORY LIST ON THE MDM SERVER".

Is there any possibilities that we have not use the proper encoding that is either "UTF 8 " or the default encoding that is required as been said in the installation guide. We havnt yet installed the oracle client or MDM client as both of them are running on the same machine.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prasad,

It sounds like MDM isn't connecting to the database correctly. Even if you have the Oracle server on the same hardware, you need to install Oracle client as well. MDS uses it to connect to the database.

Please let me know if you need more help - I have an installation document that I created that I can forward to you if you would like.

Thanks,

Mark Novak

mark.novak@eds.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Mark,

Even if you have the Oracle server on the same hardware, you need to install Oracle client as well.

Are you sure about this? I managed to link my MDM Server to Oracle Database without Oracle Database Client installation. I have MDM and Oracle both on my notebook. Does this type of installation have any disadvantages comparing with installation of client?

Vadim

holger_roesing
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

I agree with Mark, you definitly need the Oracle client libraries on the same machine where MDM is running. I'm not an expert on Oracle but a db server installation might contain the necessary libraries. The trick is to add the path to these libraries to the right environment variables for the user which is running MDM.

It depends on the operating system how to set these variables and what their names are. Please have a look at the MDM installation guide for the specific information or provide more details about your system.

Regards,

Holger

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

You need to give the DB name as it is written in the tnsnames.ora file, but not IP number, hostname or FQDN.

Regarding Oracle installation on MDM server: it is necessary to install and configure Oracle client. On MDM client machines (Data manager, console , etc) it is not necessary to have Oracle client, but if it is installed, then it should be properly configured to connect to relevant DB.

Regards,

Lev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prasad,

The Server log may contain detailed information on the nature of the problem. The MDM server returns error codes to the Console, but it typically logs extra information for supporting purposes.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the Oracle client is used by the MDS server for communicating with Oracle databases.

Hope this helps,

Simon