cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing cohesive Project Teams when the team members keep changing

Former Member
0 Kudos

We all know how critical developing a cohesive, high energy project team environment can be to the success of a project. Technques for team bonding include off-sites, dinners, joint outings, sports activities, social activities, cultural activities, etc. However, with many teams working 10 hour days, time for social activities is limited. Developing a cohesive team is made even more difficult when the team members leave and join the team.

Please share techniques that you have used to increase team cohesiveness.

One of my favorites, particularly with multi-cultural teams, is to do something with traditional foods of the different cultures represented on the teams. In the past, we have done apartment cooked meals hosted by team members and take-out where more practical. Team members talk about the various foods that we are eating and give some background on the ingredients used. A good time is generally had by all.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

claudia_mandelli
Explorer
0 Kudos

This topic is very dear to me, as I find myself in a project with high, continuous turnover. I like very much your suggestion of sharing a meal and traditional cusine. I would add that these events should occur regularly, maybe once a month or every 6-8 weeks, to ensure that new team members feel welcomed in the team.

I also found that specific team building exercises can help. For example, during realization kickoff we requested all team members to stand up and introduce themselves. Another good exercise was to perform exercises such as "start, stop and continue": the team reflects on the behaviors and dynamics , and creating "rules of engagement" (possibly this exercise needs to be facilitated so that there is an environment of trust).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another topic close to heart. You have to involve all team members at all stages throughout the project and constantly work on the team dynamics / cultural roles / interests / hobbies etc.

start by sharing common objectives & goals, maybe by presenting "a shield" to colleagues depicting four quiarters of your life - work, family, hobbies, education, they can vary.

Create common information points and teamrooms. Share information, regulary involve everyone in activities out of work.

All organisations are different and all people have different characteristics - the key to developing and maintaining a team is supporting and monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Martyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It is necessary for the Project to keep the updated documents also it is necessary that proper Knowledge Transfer is being provided to the new member so that he is upto the speed otherwise he may feel lacking in the project also will not be as productive as he should be.

Regds

Rajiv

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We generally introduce the new team member in the presence of the entire project team and have a team dinner to grace the occassion. We do team dinners when a member leaves or joins the project team.

This apart team building games such as survivor, chinese whisper for communication, riddle races and treasure hunts have helped increase communication, cohesion and understanding between team members. The above techniques are also helpful in improving client relations.

Big and formal dinner have generally been found to be restricitve and do not work in case of a large team. Informal beer drinks in a bar, sports like bowling, snooker, golfing, water games, hiking can help a lot.

Regards,

Roshik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Celebrating birthdays is also one of the area which helps in team building.

In a big projects, we always have multi cultural, multi country team members... and celebrating small way of multi cultural festival also involves the team member to know each other and one way it helps to know the person in more depth and it indirectly helps to build the positive energy in the team. It also generate " showing respect to each one".