cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBS - Activation Succeeds but no code in runtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

I developed a small Web Dynpro type DC then checked it in.

I chose to activate it.

The CBS log showed that the Activation request was accepted and that the build was successfull.

The track looks to be correctly configured with the dev/cons/test/prod runtimes defined.

1. I cannot see any evidence that the result of the build was deployed to the dev runtime nor from the SLD view (I got Basis Admin to look) any evidence there is anything to import nor was deployed for my build.

2. When I look in the CBS Web UI everything seems ok.

3. If from NWDS I choose to release my DC, the SLD Admin does see it in his listing of items to import into the cons system.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

Q#1. If the disable autodeployment is checked, it means that when you activate your changes, it will not deploy the app to dev runtime. You will have to manually deploy the ear file to the runtime system. I think you can get the ear file from the following directory: Your dc\_comp\gen\default\deploy\yourdc.ear

Q#2: Not sure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Q1 - I don't think you have to manually copy EAR from pc to server. I think that it's placed in import queue and then can be imported via the transport studio.

Q2 - We've seen this behavior too. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that it's one thing for certain that causes it. I'll ask some of my co-workers if they can remember the scenarios we've had.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Laxmi,

That is what I have concluded also. It makes sense that the CBS which is on a different server will not put the .ear file onto the runtime server if autodeploy is disabled. I now got everything working pretty well except for the occasional strange hiccup like #2.

Thanks all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Q1: That is what I orginally thought but when we check the import queue for dev runtime, nothing is there. See my response to Laxmi a couple of mins ago. Does that behavior make sense you? I cannot find any concrete info from SAP on this topic.

Q2: Well I am glad I am not the only one One can start going quite crazy and doubts exploding everywhere when this kind of stuff happens. We want to eventually roll out the use of NWDI and SAP Component model to everyone excluding 3rd party suppliers (i.e. India) and it scares me alittle when this stuff happens.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to thank everyone for their ideas.

To avoid issues, we ended up creating a new track, making sure option in SLD to autodeploy is ok. I then created a new DC, created a very simply web dynpro app and activated. Viola it all worked. It was deployed to my dev run time.

Two follow up questions:

1. If the option for the track re: autodeploy is not selected, what exactly is happening when I activate? Is the ear file put somewhere where the NWDI admin can import it into dev? Or does it just go into cyberspace never to be seen again.

2. I made a small modification to my Web Dynpro DC and activated it. Everything seem to go alright (green check marks in Activation Requests view in NWDS, CMS deploy log showing all ok) but when I logged on to my Portal dev runtime, it was still showing the old version of the code. Any ideas why the old code did not seem to get overwritten in the runtime despite the CMS log showing deployment successful?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Followup re: #2.

- I made another change and activated it and this time the update appears in our dev runtime. No explanation why it did not show up the first time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, yea. I forgot to mention the little-known condition that causes things to work only if it's the 3rd Monday of the month. : )

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced these kind of random behaviors in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it will not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

See how many requests are in the queue using the url below.

http://<hostname>:<port>/TCS/Deployer

Is the disable auto deployment checkbox in cms runtime system checked?

If so, uncheck it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi. Just curious. Would it even try to do the deploy if the disable auto-deploy is selected?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

Might be silly but please go to Dev Configuration perspective in NWDS, open the Activation Request view and see your request ID. Are both the activation and deployment steps ticked with a green check mark? If both steps are successful, your DC should have been deployed to dev runtime.

Hope it helps.

MLS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I see the "Activation Status" as Succeeded (green checkmark) and the "Deployment Status" as processing (running man figure).

Its been that way for a few hours. Why would it keep saying processing instead of failure or succeeded for so long.

Is there somewhere I can have our SLD admin look in the SLD to see what is going on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've had this happen and in almost every case it was because there were so many requests queued up that Basis had to restart the service.

Also, with an older version (I think it was 2004 sp13) there was a bug where this would happen if whatever you were deploying didn't have 'a deployable change' as an SAP consultant explained it to me. In those cases, we'd go into application.xml, make some dummy change (add a space or comment) and then build/deploy/activate again.

Hope that helps