cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy Procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Here my client wants to move their system PRD to a new server that they acquired. The environment is Windows on Oracle 8.1.7 with 4.6 C.

So i would like to know that best way of moving the system to the new server.

The Homogeneous System Copy is there, but in 4.6C Version i am confusing to chose the Export option from the Kernel CD.

Previously i had done the System Copy with ECC 5.0. But in this version i am confusing.

pliz do advise me on this.

I would also be grateful if anyone can provide me with documentation on how to execute this procedure.

Waiting for your kind reply.

Regards,

Praveen Merugu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

If you only need to move a system into from one server to another with the same OS platform and DB Platform, then you can use System Copy.

if you are confused how to do this, then:

1. Install SAP instance and DB Instance in the new server, make sure the SID is the same with the old server.

2. Do offline backup of the old SAP Instance

3. restore the backup to your new server, make sure you delete all data files in the new server before you do this

4. generate the control file script in the old server

5. copy the script to your new server

6. execute the script to generate all the control file

7. Startup the database

Regards,

Anggana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anggana,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

This is that i want to confirm with experts.

I will perform the same activity. If i face any problem during this activity please help me out to find out the solution.

Thanks & Regards,

Praveen Merugu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

praveen ,

please provide me mailid , i can forward you the required document.

I have already done this task.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ajju,

Thanks for your immediate reply.

Please send the documents to : [removed by moderator]

--

Praveen Merugu

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this interesting document, it contains an easy way to do an homogeneous system copy using a backup/restore instead of export/import:

http://www.basisconsultant.com/docs/handbooks/homcopyv1.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry Eric,

but I do not think that this document covers an upgrade of an Oracle Database during a backup/restore based system copy. This is only possible with the manual upgrade procedurre of the database (DBUA is not working on the destination machine). complicated enough to run in various errors.

peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

My query is i have no development system i.e., Development system is crashed during a hardware maintainance. So i need a replica of Production server into a new server.

Which method do i follow, System Copy or Backup/Restore.

--

Praveen Merugu

Former Member
0 Kudos

if the operating system and database version is the same as on the production system: backup / restore.

if not it depends on the operating system on the target machine.

peter

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Peter, he never talked about an Oracle upgrade (even if it will be needed)

Praveen, your question is confusing. you want to move your SAP system on a new machine and want an upgrade at the same time? You want to move your 4.6c system? your ECC 5.0 system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

First part is hardware migration and then upgradation , i have done exact assignment for one of my 3 system landscape.

You need one spare machine.

1 source machine

2 spare machine

3 Target machine

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oracle 8.1.7 is LONG out of maintenance, suggest your client to upgrade at least to 9.2.0.7, if you get problems during the export, SAP may or may not help.

Yes, you can use R3load to copy the database.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

In Production we have Oracle version 8.1.7 which i am using for system copy. Presently it is not possible to upgrade it to 9.2.0.7.

Is this is the same procedure as done in ECC 5.0 any difference is there.

Please suggest me in detail.

Regards,

Praveen Merugu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - it is a bit different, backup - restore will work but you will need to do the steps "manually" since the tools for doing it are out of support for a long time.

Your customer is running a system combination, that is no more supported so if you run into problems on either source or target system, SAP may just suggest to upgrade the database to get the system working again.

Also keep in mind, that Oracle 8.1.7 doesn't run on Windows 2003 so you need to run on Windows 2000 which is ALSO out of support by Micorosft. There may or may not be hardware drivers for W2K for the new server...

--

Markus