cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI and files with fixed length fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to XI and even though I have done a lot of research on XI, I still can’t find an answer to my question. I will be using XI to get flat files via FTP from an old DOS based system that the company still uses. The flat files that the DOS system produces are position sensitive(fixed width fields) and the different file structure all use the same name. Our current host system can distinguish what type of file it is by reading the second byte of the flat file. Each line of the flat file starts with a *# , with the # being a letter from A-Z. Can XI be configured to read the second byte of the file and insert the file into the proper table depending on what the second byte of the file is? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan -

One idea is to use the module processor exit bean for this. This bean will be triggered in the Sender file adapter.

See my weblog /people/sap.user72/blog/2005/07/31/xi-read-data-from-pdf-file-in-sender-adapter on how to use a module bean to change the content of the Payload.

In you case, the module bean will read the second byte and based on the charcter, will frame the XML payload to be passed to the integration server.

Once inside the int. server, you can use BPM to further process the file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks KK!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our technical Adapter for inhouse files is able to process flat files, it supports multiple record (keyed by second char in line) types and convert them to a 1:1 XML format or to your target format.

Greetings

B.Eckenfels@seeburger.de