cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for HTML (ITS) VS. SAP GUI for HTML (Web As)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am pretty new to the SAP world. I read some document from SAP Help Library - it talks about front-application could be in either

· SAP GUI for HTML, based on the Internet Transaction Server (ITS)

OR

· SAP GUI for HTML, based on the SAP Web Application Server (Web AS) Release 6.40 or higher

How can I tell when an application is SAP GUI for HTML (ITS) or when it is SAP GUI for HTML (Web AS)? We're on 640 and ECC 5.0. If a URL link like this:

http://&sap-language=EN/webgui/!&;transaction=SWNWIEX&P_WI_ID=<work item ID>&P_ACTION=EXECUTE&OKCODE=ONLI

Since it has "its" as part of the string - is this a good indication that this application is using the SAP GUI for HTML (ITS) application server?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me a good explanation what's a good way to determine what technolgoy stack that I am using.

Thank you.

Jennifer Tran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When the SAP WEBGUI (GUI for HTML) was introduced it was only supported on the Internet Transaction Server (ITS) platform:

(user) --> (SAP ITS WGate) --> (SAP ITS AGate) --> (SAP)

In one of the WAS applications, the AGate component above was incorporated into the application server. The ITS DHTML templates were incorporated into the WAS stack, instead of being deployed on a separate application - AGATE. The design then could be shown as:

(user) --> (SAP ITS WGate) --> (SAP)

• note: in the above, the WGate is only needed if there is a firewall between the WGate and SAP, I believe that the AGate was also supported. Also, before NW04S, I believe that the AGate could (optionally still be used).

However, as of NW04S the WGate is no longer supported, being replaced by the SAP WebDispatcher. To add to the confusion (or flexibility), the webdispatcher can be used in earlier releases as well.

So, the newest implementation looks like:

(user) --> (SAP Webdispatcher) --> (SAP)

-or-

(user) --> (SAP)

In your case, if the "<host>:<port>/sap/bc/gui/sap/its" is the host and port of your SAP application server, then you are using "SAP GUI for HTML (WebAS)". The path is setup in SICF, where you would should see <default host> /sap/bc/gui/its/webgui.

So, unless you have a separate WGate and/or AGate setup, then you are using the same information in SAP.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

- Brian.