Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High and fluctuating 'Current unprotect used'

gfarmer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey

Since some Days our 'Current unprotect used' Space fluctuating from 200 - 320 GB per Day.

I have no Idea what this cause.

When i execute dsptmpstg i got 69 GB.

Does anybody have a Hint for this strange behavior?

Lg.

Gerhard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

gfarmer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey

Thank you for all comments.

Ibm told me that my Problem is known.

It affect 3 Tier Enviroment. We test since last week an application server , based on Windows. Because of this Application server our 'Current unprotect used' grow daily about 20 - 30 GB.

Hope i get soon a Ptf for this.

Lg.

Gerhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

The unprotect area of the disk storage is a temporary storage area used by OS/400 for all its components (virtual memory swap area, temp index, many kind of caches, etc.), not just by SQL engine that SAP uses. One possible cause that can make the unprotect area fluctuate a lot is SQL join operation that involves joining huge amount or rows. The temporary result of the join is stored in the unprotest area until the join operation finishes when it is deleted. The more such join operations, the more fluctuation.

Memory leak can also be another cause. Look here for PTFs for this issue: <a href="http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&context=SWG60&dc=DB520&dc=D900&dc=D800&dc=DA900&dc=DA800&q1=temporarydiskspacev5r4m0AND+AS400KBXXYYZZRCH&uid=nas188c105155938650086257045005c7b1e&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=all">Temporary storage PTFs</a>

Satid S.

IBM Thailand

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had the same issue with our temp storage as well. We would see temp storage go up to 320Gb after a month of running, and then it would drop by about 70Gb when we recycled SAP.

We ask SAP and IBM what the cause was, and the response from IBM was that the issue was due to the way the SAP Database monitor handles data within the memory. We changed as4/dbmon/enable to 0 following another issue we had with temp storage, IPL'd the machine, and have not seen temp storage get above 150Gb now.

HTH,

Dan