cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLS transaction SocketTimeoutException

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a transaction which has a number of reads/writes to 2 Oracle databases. It has been running OK for a number of months but now it has stopped writing to one of the Oracle databases. When I execute the transaction within the Logic Editor I get the message: Error executing transaction: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out. By playing around with the transaction it appears that executing the SQL Query on this Oracle database is what is causing the timeout. However, running the query in the Query Template test mode works fine! Also, other applications running on this database are running OK. What could be causing this problem?

Thanks,

John.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

On the configure dialog of your SQL query action what is the Timeout? By default it is 60 seconds, so if your query to Oracle takes longer than this you will receive the error you mentioned. The Template Editor test does not have this type of timeout.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

The timeout hasn't been changed; it is the default 60 seconds. However, when I ran a test of the query in the Template Editor it completed in a matter of a few seconds so I am very surprised that it would timeout in 60 seconds in the transaction. The strange thing is that the transaction has started working again as of yesterday without making any changes! It had also worked OK for the previous couple of months; I have never encountered this timeout error before. What would account for it giving this error all of a sudden and then failing like this for a number of days before righting itself? There have been no problems with other applications accessing this database or the server this database is on. One other thing I had a problem with while this timeout was occurring was that the xMII Schedule Editor failed to open (I reported it in this forum as ). This has also righted itself!! Is there any way we can check back to see what might have caused these problems and also prevent them happening in the future?

Regards,

John.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

The best place to look would be in the logs, checking to see the server memory stats during the time these errors were happening, as well as any other general errors that might be related.

Was the server rebooted or ServletExec restarted after the timeout issues were happening?

Tough to speculate based on the symptoms you've shared, but the logs would be your best source of information to use in the investigation process.

Regards,

Jeremy