cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto logging frequency - how to overcome EWA failure when no activity ?

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My 2nd question for today and last promise

We have auto logging enabled on all our database systems(MaxDB 7.6 64bit). The problem is when it comes to weekends there is very little activity so the log segment doesn't fill and no backup of log is done over the weekend. This in turn is causing our EWA Service Reports to fail on backup log frequency giving a red alert.

How do I overcome this ? ..Can I schedule auto logging to disable then force a manual backup of logs on weekends and how will this effect logs when it comes to restoring ie. can you do manual log backup to same log as auto log ?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Nelis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes - you can do that - we do that every day to make log backup

dbmcli -U c autolog_off
dbmcli -U c backup_start <log medium> LOG
dbmcli -U c autolog_on <log medium>

There´s no difference between "AUTO" and "MANUAL".

--

Markus

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus.

hmm I marked the question as answered which you did do but then I thought of something else...

With auto logging the logs get rotated(segment size), what will happen now when I specify same log for manual log backup as auto log ? ...especially when more than one manual log backup occurs like on a Saturday and Sunday. I don't want Sunday's log backup to overwrite Saturday's ? Does it still do the rotate or does it now create one large log file for Sat and Sun ? I will then turn on auto logging again on Monday after full backup..

Thanks.

Nelis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The logs are sequential, if another log is created it gets a different number attached to it, so no worry you will overwrite something.

There can happen something like

100 MB

100 MB

80 MB

30 MB

100 MB

100 MB

etc.

--

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Follow up question to answer not answered..