Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flat file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you plz tell me the meaning of

Fixed width Flat File "with count as a trailer record to ensure the end of file". ??

What is the meaning of count as a trailer record to ensure the end of file ?? Could you please give me the example how the file look like ?? Can I use for this particular file format

Transport protocols as: Fils System(NFS)

Message protocol as:File

Thanks

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

In general when we get a file it will have a trailer record i.e. last record in the file with numbe of records in the file. In most of the time we get this kind of file with requirement of validating number of records in file with trailer record and if it do not match discard file.

As far as fixed length file is confider I think it must be clear to you...every field value will have fixed length.i.e. starting positoin and ending position would be fixed.

If this file is avilable on ABAP stack-Application of XI server then you can use NFS protocol else you can use FTP..dosent make difference.

if it is flat file then you need to use File Content conversion to convert data in XML format.

Hope this will clear you.

File sample would be..

H123456788999008 - Record 1

H243353677778788 - Record 2

H356676457457876 - Record 3

T3 - Trailer record..with "3" indicates number of records in file.

Let me know if you need more details.

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh,

Could you plz explain me the meaning of "If this file is avilable on ABAP stack-Application of XI server" ??

And also the difference between CSV file and flat file ??

Thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Could you plz explain me the meaning of "If this file is avilable on ABAP stack-Application of XI server" ??

It means it is availble on the XI server itself. Like any other SAP R/3 system you can login into SAP XI system. That is abap stack of XI server. If file is available on XI system itself then you can used NFS. If it is not on XI server then you can access file using FTS.

CSV is comma separated file i.e. every column value is separated by "," where as flat file could be fixed length file.

Nilesh

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey

>>And also the difference between CSV file and flat file ??

CSV is a type of Flat file.

there is no difference between a CSV and a Flat file,a CSV file can also be called as a Flat file.as Fixed length is a type of Flat file,CSV is also just a type of flat file

thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir,

If I am not wrong when CSV file is there we will use FCC. Whenever fixed length file is there we will use message protocol as "file". Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

>>Whenever fixed length file is there we will use message protocol as "file". Please correct me if I am wrong.

No,not always,u give message protocol as FCC only if u want to convert that flat file(CSV,FIxedlength etc) to XML.

suppose you are doing a bypass scenario with flat file,then since u are not converting the flat file to XML u will give the message protocol as File and not FCC.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

suppose if I have a CSV file ......then you mean still i can use message protocol as "file" ??

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey

>>suppose if I have a CSV file ......then you mean still i can use message protocol as "file" ??

like i said if you are converting this CSV to XML and doing message mapping,then u need to give the message protocol as FCC,otherwise u can give File.

thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kumar,

If you have Flat file / or any other input file other xml file and if you want to convert data in XML for processing you need to used "FCC" where as if you have input as xml file itself where you do not need to convert it into xml format, you use "File" protocol.

Nilesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

>>Fixed width Flat File "with count as a trailer record to ensure the end of file". ??

is this from some Functional Spec?

anyways what i understand is that you will have a flat file and suppose u have 50 records in the file,then in the end u will have a tag like this <count>50</count>

>>Message protocol as:File

if its a flat file and u wanna convert that to XML then replace File with File content conversion else u can leave File as it is

Thanx

Aamir