cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations/Restrictions of XI ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I would like to know the Limitations/Restrictions of XI as a product?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Pavithra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

well if u want to integrate SAP system wiwth some other SAP or Non-SAP system then the best bet your be XI.for integrating any other system u might look for other options like WebMethods etc.

one dent which i feel XI has is in terms of EDI(we need some additional tools for it like SeeBurger or Conversion agent).

other than that its a 800 pounds Gorilla:)

Thanx

Aamir

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

TCO high abs right... sap markets it as a solution dat will lower the TCO but thats not the case here..... licensing cost vary in PI / XI depending on the number of message *amount of data * being exchanged with non sap system.

You can search in sdn u will get lotz on infoo....

<b>Cheers,

*RAJ*</b>

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Disadvantages of XI

Total Cost of Ownership of XI is high and Licensing is required. TIBCO is a cost effective middleware available in the market.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pavithra,

XI is a middleware like many others. It is well suited for connecting SAP systems with each other and with non-SAP.If your focus is not on SAP systems, other solutions might be a better choice today. SAP XI provides an integrated workflow engine that allows to define adapters to non-XML-protocols and mappings to convert data content from source to target.

Any fully mature middleware should provide these three layers.

1. An independent Message Queue

2. A data consolidator and mapping engine

3. Workflow processor.

XI is lacking full-fledged Message Queue compared to other established Middleware products.

Currently, SAP XI does not have the features like IBM Websphere, Seeburger or TIBCO.

SAP's next XI release might provide this missing piece and many more features which is due 2007 i guess.

Here are the advantages of SAP XI from my point of view.There are lots of advantages but to list a few :

• Easy Integration with SAP products & components (RFC, IDOC, Proxy).

• Data security as expected from any SAP product.

• Standards based - XML, XSD, Xpath etc

• Ability to communicate with other messaging systems/products.

• Business Process Management

• Synchronous & Asynchronous communication possible.

• Complex processes for communication possible instead of only sending and receiving (business process management) (connect e.g. asynchronous and synchronous steps, define complex communication scenarios)

• Mapping etc possible to accomplish in Java. Platform independent Java components.

• Java & .Net support.

• Big range of adapters for different technologies / tools (SOAP, Mail, JDBC, CDIX...)available in standard or offered by other companies (EDI e.g. by Seeburger).

• Process functionalities inside XI to modify content in the communication channel on own defined rules fpr business purposes.

• Central monitoring for data communication for all your communication between different systems.

• And the marketing issue: SAP and its partners provide high volume of development capabilities to make XI always up-to-date for new requirements

Regards

biplab

NOTE:<i>Reward with points if it is helpful.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>Currently, SAP XI does not have the features like IBM Websphere, Seeburger or TIBCO.</i>

Feature wise, can u please tell me wat features of IBM Websphere, Seeburger or TIBCO are missing in SAP XI.

Regards,

pavithra