Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification regdng instances & clients for SolMan w.r.to Service Desk Msg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

Pls help me.

As we face issues while deleting service desk (test) messages and also to test various other new features of SolMan we are planning to have Sandbox & Production instances for SolMan.

Now the query is

Do we need two seperate instances for Sandbox & Production?

(or)

(ii) Can we use two different clients of the same instance as Sandbox & Production clients?

(iii) If we can use different clients of the same instance what will happen to the service desk messages which we create in the Sandbox client? Will they in any way affect the Production client?

(iv) Also what will happen to the IMG configurations we make in the Sandbox client? Will they affect the Production client? Or everything can be redone for the Production Client or can be transproted?

Pls clarify. All useful answers will be suitably rewarded.

Thanks & best regds,

Alagammai.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Arunachalam,

Let me address your issues pointwise:

Do we need two seperate instances for Sandbox & Production?

(or)

(ii) Can we use two different clients of the same instance as Sandbox & Production clients?

Answer:

You can chose any options. Both the options are safe. you wont have any problems..

(iii) If we can use different clients of the same instance what will happen to the service desk messages which we create in the Sandbox client? Will they in any way affect the Production client?

Answer:

Nothing will happen to those sandbox msges untill and unless you archive them.

If you prefer to use the same instance with PRD as difrrent client on the same instance, this additional (Test msegs ) that you created in sandbox <b>client will NOT</b> interfere with the Production client.

So chill and dont worry.

The reason being so is that the messages you create is client specfic, so messages you create in Sandbox client <b>will not be visible on PRD client</b>.

(iv) Also what will happen to the IMG configurations we make in the Sandbox client? Will they affect the Production client? Or everything can be redone for the Production Client or can be transproted?

Answer:

The customizing settings that you had done for service desk implementation in sandbox client <b>will not be available</b> in PRD client since this settings are client specific.

So you are left with two options:

A) if you have set of transport request for Service desk implementation in sandbox client, then those TR can be imported in PRD client.

B) If you dont have Proper TR in Sandbox client, then are are better off doing the configurations again..

Plz note: No matter what strategy you follow( A OR B ), you have to again establish RFC connections from you PRD client to the satellite ssytem.

If you decide to have seprate instance for PRD, even then you can move those TR's in your sandbox client into new PRD instance and again establish RFC connections from SOLMAN to Satelllite systems.

Hope i answered all your queries.

PLz reward for usefull answers.

Regards,

Anand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers.

Again few questions or clarifications.

(1) Are you sure option (ii) having different clients of the same instance as sandbox & production clients is workable? Have you ever tried that?

I am asking you for confirmation becos, I got info from few colleagues like Sandbox & Production need to in different instances and should not be in the different clients of the same instance.

(2) You have told nothing will happen to the sandbox msgs unless we archive them. What is the problem with archiving the msgs in sandbox client? Will that in any way create any reflection in the Production system? Pls clarify what you were about to say with this statement "unless we archive msgs in sandbox".

Of course, you have answered for all my queries. Thanks a lot once again.

best regds,

Alagammai.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Arunachalam,

1) Are you sure option (ii) having different clients of the same instance as sandbox & production clients is workable? Have you ever tried that?

Answer:

I am absolutely sure that having different clients of the same instance as sandbox & production clients is workable.

I had completed over 5 service Desk and 2 Change Mangement implementation.

I had personally tried on my LOCAL ides as well.

But rememeber, either DEV CLIENT or the PRD client can commnuncate with satellite system, both cannot simultaneously communicate, bcos there can be only one RFC destination specifified in BCOS_CUST table of satellite system.

Same applies when you use PRD and DEV as diffrent instances as well.

<b>Well having diffrent PRD instance is recemmended but its not a necessity.</b>

The reason why diffrent PRD instance is recemmended is bcoz suppose if you make some cross-client changes or you develop some workbench objects, these changes also might effect DEV and PRD simultaneosly as both belong to same instance.

Another reason being Change request mangement Implementation.

In this case you have to select a client in solman which could be called as change mangement client( technically this is where the Schedule manager runs ).

Now assuming that u have DEV and PRD on same instance and if you activate Dev as the change managemnt client, then it might create problems when you try and activate chaneg mangement clientas PRD client as one system can have only one change management client which means either dev or PRD can be change mangemnt cleint and not both.

Having a diffrent instance solves this problem.

Now <b>if you never going to use change request mangemnet</b>, then having two clients on same instance will not create any problem.

Now depending on our scenario, you can decide what you want to be doing..

2) well i just meant if you dont archive them, they will still be there in the system, thats it which means " Nothing will happen to them ".

Reward for usefull answer.

Revert for any clarifications.

Regards,

Anand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Anand.

Answers (0)