cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content server for Document attachment through "services for object" Icon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I have typical problem in installation of Content server for storing external documents.

We all know that we can attach the document in SAP using the icon “SERVICES FOR OBJECT”. By this we can attach the document to the specific object we want.

-Since my client wants only document attachment method not to completely implement SAP DMS, I proposed this method of attaching documents through services for object method.

-If documents are stored though services for object ,The attached document will directly get stored in sap database(correct me if I am wrong) while in DMS it ask you to select the storage location while u check in for any document

-By storing the doc thru "services for object " For long run when we store the documents in sap database our system will drastically get slow down.

-In this regard I have a plan to incorporate external storage server.

-Now I should know that how I should customize content server configuration so that the attachment through services for object will store into this content server I need to know how to define Client, Content Category, Content Repository, Document Area, Physical Machine, IP Address, Port. (OACT & OAC0)

I appreciate for immediate solution and <u><b>Points will be rewarded for sure.</b></u>

Regards,

Murali.S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

The Documents (Origianals in SAP Lang) attached at Service level of any SAP Object (Material Master, Production Order, Purchase Requiistion etc) will be stored in the Cache server of SAP not in Content Server.

But Storing the Originals through DMS is the better option,

You need to show some importance of DMS to customer,

like In Production Order if you want to see any attached document & its Originals they can see through Viewer and the version or Revision level of the DIR & attached Originals can also be seen.

DMS has to get integrated properly with material Master, Bill of Materials, and Word Documents even.

Say if they have some templates of Word, those fields can be captured directly into DIR and the Number of Word, DIR and Material Master can be same.

<b>Say Material Master having a number XYZ and the attached Document can also have a DIR Number as XYZ and validation can be built b/w material master and DIR to avoid any errors.

One Material Master can have several document attached with same Number but with different document types again a beautiful validations can be built b/w this.</b>

Just without understanding the complete possibilities and functionalities that DMS provides customer won't agree for implementing DMS and Content Server.

The AS-IS Process has to be complete mapped and in TO-BE Process make as simple as they are currently following.

<u><b>But only attaching the Originals (Wrd, XL etc) at Services levels of Object, their purpose won't solve, I strongly belive that there should be a proper DMS Implementation with proper Integrations b/w all the other business Objects of the SAP.</b></u>

Content Server cannot be used for storing the files attached to SAP Objects at Services.

Regards

Rehman

Reward your Points if Satisfied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I completely agree on your comment.

Starting with My first proposal to my client was complete implementation of SAP DMS only.

Later while giving scope of complete DMS, for them it was huge and their requiremnet restricted with attaching the document in transactions like <u><b>VA02,MM02,ME22N,CJ12</b></u> only thats it.

- They doesnt need any document number range,DIR,version ,revision.

- No need of document tracking

- Not editing option of any document.

Its completely <i><u><b>for viewale purpose</b></u></i>.

And complete implementation is under complete stage, so they dont want DMS to incorporate at this time.

The constraint here is what i felt the <b><u>document attachment is more</u></b>,So that later it should not slow the server.

Kindly propose me a way to manage those huge document atachments, since we have proposed this and my client exactly needs the same requiremnt not DMS.

Kindly dont tell that it cant be possible, i will go mad......:-)

Points will be rewarded for sure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Don't Worry, its possible,

All attachments can be stored in SAP Content Server also, but through archiving process.

Set up a database storage system.

Preparation

Make sure that the HTTP plugin is active.

Transaction <b>SMICM,</b> "Display Services" function key (shift F1)). The list of services must contain a port other than 0 for HTTP.If not, you must adjust the relevant profile parameter.

<u>Typical entry:</u>

icm/server_port_0 PROT=HTTP, PORT=1080, TIMEOUT=900

<b>Make sure that the /sap/bc/contentserver service is active.</b>

If no user is defined, then use transaction SU01 to create a new user. Use the "System" user type.Assign

the SAP_ALL and SAP_NEW profiles to the user. (Eg: HRUSER/PLMUSER/PPUSER etc)

Transaction <b>SICF,</b> select: default_host - sap - bc -contentserver. Select the function to display/change the service. Make sure that a user is defined.

Using the relevant data from the newly created user, maintain the anonymous logon data for the

/default_host/sap/bc/ service and save & activate the changes in transaction <b>SICF</b>. Double click on content server and give the user name which has been created (HRUSER/PLMUSER/PPUSER/MMUSER etc)

Check the system PSE.

Start transaction <b>STRUST</b>. Expand the system PSE. The system PSE must be "green" for each application

server.

Determine a suitable exchange directory.

The exchange directory must be accessible from each application server. If all application servers are running on the same platform (for example, Windows), one network directory that is accessible on all application server (for example,
server\share) is sufficient. You can generally use the global directory

(profile parameter DIR_GLOBAL).You can use the RSPARAM report to determine the profile parameters.

Setting up the storage

Create a table for storing the data. Using transaction <b>SE11</b>, create a copy of the SDOKCONT1

table. If you want to create the repository database, you can name the table ZCONT_DB, for example. Save the

table as a local object. Activate the table.

Create a repository.

Use transaction <b>OAC0</b> to create a new repository.

Use the following parameters:

Repository Max. two characters, for example,” Z1”

DocArea: ARCHLINK

Storage type: R/3 database

Storage subtype: normal

Version no. : 0046

Contents table <table name> for example: ZCONT_DB

Exchange directory <directory name> for example:
server\share\

Make sure that the exchange list ends with a \ (or /on Unix).If you are using a variety of platforms, you must use transaction FILE to define a suitable logical file name and use this name. Save the settings.

1. Maintain view table <b>TOAAR_C</b>, via SM31

Cross client table displayed as information, forget it

2. In field 'StSytm' you must entered 'Z1' as your system need, or anything that you need but you must configure HR Archive link too.

3. In field 'Arch.path' (direct above Spoolpath), entered path in your system, this real path in your operating system. May be you should confirm to your Basis consultant where exactly you could store picture files. So if you enter '/', your file exists at root directory at your UNIX system.

4. Choose 'File store' radio button

5. Save.

First

<b>1. You have to create a number range for SAP ArchiveLink.

IMG: Basis Components-> Basis Services -> SAP ArchiveLink -> Basic Settings-> Maintain number ranges

(Trxn <b>OANR).</b> Create number range 01 from 0000000001 to 9999999999 without the external number flag.

2. Document type <b>HRICOLFOTO</b> must exist with document class JPG.

IMG: Basis Components->Basis Services->SAP ArchiveLink->System Settings->Maintain document types

(Table<b> TOAVE, Trxn OAC2).</b>

3. Document type <b>HRICOLFOTO</b> must be linked to object type PREL and Infotype PA0002.

IMG: Personnel Management->Personnel Administration->Tools->Optical archiving->Set up Optical Archiving

in HR. (View V_T585O, no Trxn). In the first two columns there are minuses, the third (Date) has

a plus - don't put a flag in the check box.

4. Check which content repository (Archive) is linked to document type HRICOLFOTO and object type

PREL. IMG: <b>Basis Components->Basis Services->SAP ArchiveLink->Basic Settings->Maintain Links (Table

TOAOM_C, Trxn).</b></b>

Test

• Test the repository.

Use transaction SE38 to start the RSCMSTH0 report. Specify your repository (i.e. Z1) and start the test.

The report must run without errors. If no problems occurred, you can use the new repository with Archive Link after you carry out the Archive Link Customizing. If problems do occur, check whether one of the related

notes helps.

For More Details :

http://service.sap.com/archivelink.

<u><b>

NOTE:- Screen Shots are missing, i was not able to paste here, One more thing is we did this for uploading a PHOTOS into Content Server, Similarly you have to create a REPOSITORY and Z-TABLE to bring all the Attachments from all the selected Objects and then route them to the CONTENT REPOSITORY.</b></u>

Your Senior ABAP guy would help you in this, if not i may try to help you more by monday.

Regards

Rehman

<b>Reward Your Points if Satisfied.</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rehmann,

I appreciate for such an excellent effort to capture all the details in your reply.

Its fantastic Thanks a lot rehman,

Regards,

Murali.S

Answers (0)