cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch & Kernel updation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have plan to update the kernel & SP stack on our SAP system, Is updating of both of this are interrelated or not?

Is it possible to first update the kernel & later on apply the Patches?

Also, we planned to update the kernel & patches on SAND server, but we don't have the password for SAP* & DDIC user on client 000 for SAND server.on another client of same server i.e. 111 we have our user ids with sap_all & sap_new authorizations, can I apply the patches on client 111?

If I apply the patches on client 000 of development system then are they reflect to other clients or I need to do any other steps for the same?

Regards,

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Is this problem solved...If not you can use the option 'Regenerate Existing Loads' in the SGEN tcode under which you have the option of generating only those objects which are changed but SP packs or Regenerate all the objects.

Cheers.

Prashant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Rajesh,

Delete SAP* user from client 000 by setting up this parameter in instance profile

login/no_automatic_user_sapstar = 0 then Logon to DB and delete this using delete from SID.USR02 where BNAME='SAP*' and MANDT='000'.

Restart the instance then you will be able to login with username sap* and password pass.

Then you can start applyting Support packs.

Yes ofcourse you need to patch your kernel first then go ahead with support pack.

Don't forget to run SGEN once you are done with SP as it will build you buffer with new support packages too making system access much better.

Thanks & Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for replay.

The problem is the parameter login/no_automatic_user_sapstar is not defined in instance profile of client 111, shall I create it & make it active so that I can follow the steps given by you. please suggest.

Regards,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rajesh,

The Instance profile is effective for the whole of the Instance which is running on a system. Its not a client specific. So you can edit this from any client and restart the SAP instance to get this into effect.

Rajesh just go ahead and insert this parameter in instance profile and go ahead with your patching.

Thanks & Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for reply.

I applied the SP stack successfully on our system, but as mentioned by you I need to do SGEN after appling the patches.

When I hit the SGEN, there are number of options & when I check the information about the SAP load generator it shows that

After an upgrade, you have to regenerate the load of the ABAP objects in the system. Here, the following are required:

The runtime of the generation process in transaction SGEN must be as short as possible.

The storage space required by the ABAP loads in the database must not be too large.

The generation effort on the part of the user must be as small as possible.

The following generation set takes the above requirements into account. It consists of all objects with loads, which were available in your system before the upgrade (that is, objects that you already used before the upgrade), and all objects that were redelivered in the release interval between start release and target release of your upgrade. The names of the objects that were generated before the upgrade were stored in the REPLIST file in the current directory of your system during the upgrade (profile parameter DIR_HOME).

After selecting this task, the Selection by software components of generation set screen appears. Here you are able to restrict the amount of objects to be generated by selecting software components. Use the pushbutton to select the software components you require.

What should I do? Please suggest

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to upgrade Kernel before applying SPs ( best practice ) . Kernel is part of Support stack now .. So before applying support pack make sure that you have upgraded your kernel and are using laest SPAM/SAINT .

You should apply patches in client 000 and it will be visible in all the client as they are client independent.

Thanks

Prince Jose