cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WDA through keyboard (without a mouse)

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need to trigger a Button's action (and a related outbound plug) when the user presses a key on the keyboard (for example, say a numeric key).

It isn't possible, right? At least, that's what i've read in numerous WDJ posts, and the WDA Wiki's FAQ says that keyboard shortcuts or custom navigation are not yet supported. Haven't had better luck searching on other sites.

If so, then I still don't get why the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/77/3545415ea6f523e10000000a155106/content.htm">official help</a> says <i>"Web Dynpro offers the following advantages for application developers: ... Automatic operation of the Web Dynpro application using the keyboard"</i>.

Maybe someone working at SAP can clarify this subject.

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I am not from SAP but maybe can say s.th. concerning this item:

Like screenreaders the user can use the tab key to navigate through the whole screen and then use the return key to press the button when it is in the focus.

this is not what you want/need?

Regards,

Volker

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Volker, thanks for your answer.

But that's not what I want, but instead to bind a keypress to an action, irrespective of where the focus is, because I don't know yet if Enter(confirm)/Cancel/Delete keys will be available to the user.

If they are, then maybe i'll create an inputfield, and on wdmodifyview method validate input and act accordingly.

Anyways, i'd like to know what possibilities does WDA provide (or will provide in the future) for it's usage with keyboards, given the quote i did on previous post (that is one of the five lines of the full WDA manual on which the "keyboard" word appears!)

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, let's hear what the SAP guys say ....

Regards,

Volker

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Closing the thread since no one else answered. The removal of the above quoting from the official help means something though...maybe this functionality has been posponed indefinitely.

Regards

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hotkeys have been added to UI elements (Button, ToolBarButton, LinkToAction, MenuActionItem, ToolBarLinkToAction, ToolBarLinkToURL, and LinkToURL) in the upcomming NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2711159225/

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great news Thomas!

Thanks for the update.

former_member188831
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Hotkeys have been added to UI elements (Button, ToolBarButton, LinkToAction, MenuActionItem, ToolBarLinkToAction, ToolBarLinkToURL, and LinkToURL) in the upcomming NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 1. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2711159225/

as you said if we want access hotkey property we need

NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 1.

is it possible to know us which component is required to get this functionaliy.

since my basis team is telling that it will take lot of time to upgrade to Enhancement Package 1.

if they know the particular component name then it will be easier to add that.

now we are using NetWeaver 7.0 with our any EHP.

Thanks,

Mahesh.Gattu

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>if they know the particular component name then it will be easier to add that.

I don't understand what you are asking for. The Software Component is NetWeaver. You would install the NetWeaver Enhancement Package into whatever existing application you have that is currently NetWeaver 7.0 based. This will update the NetWeaver objects to 7.01 (or 7.0 Enhancement Package 1).

NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 1 is currently in ramp-up and scheduled for general availability late in Q4 2008 or early in Q1 2009.

former_member188831
Contributor
0 Kudos

I mean if we can check from the system status and click on the explore button which is down to the Component Version(in system data).

there we can see some sfotware components like:

SAP_ABA

SAP_BASIS

ST-PI

PI_BASIS

SAP_BW

SAP_AP

SAP_HR

SAP_APPL

our basis consultant is asking me like this do we have any software components to get this functionality.

any how as you said it is still in ramp-up stage, i have to check with other senior people is it advisable to upgragde to ehp1.

Thanks,

Mahesh.Gattu

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 1 updates the Software Componets PI_BASIS, SAP_ABA, SAP_BASIS, and SAP_BW to 701 release level. Those are the only Software Components touched by the Enhancement Package.

Answers (0)